1st gear rattle.........

flat4hore

hi everyone.... i have a issue with the 1st gear on my impreza (its a 98 irish turbo) when i drive off in first there is a rattle which seems to come from the back of the engine.

when i lift off it goes away.. it only happens in first gear tho, it had been suggested that a heat shield was the issue. I threw on a de-cat and the rattle is not as loud but its still there.

is the box fooked? or is it the box at all? any info or help would be fantastic :)

Shouldnt be the gear box if the noise is at the back of the engine?

when was the oil in the box last changed? Might do no harm to rule that out anyway

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=27744.msg324414#msg324414 date=1290377324]
Shouldnt be the gear box if the noise is at the back of the engine?

when was the oil in the box last changed? Might do no harm to rule that out anyway
[/quote]

a full oil change was done a week ago... i have noticed its not as loud when its cold either... :dontknow:

Was your flywheel skimmed the last time the clutch was changed? Have been told in the past that you get a bit of noise from Exedy clutches set against an unskimmed flywheel.

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=27744.msg324452#msg324452 date=1290409810]
Was your flywheel skimmed the last time the clutch was changed? Have been told in the past that you get a bit of noise from Exedy clutches set against an unskimmed flywheel.
[/quote]

as far as i know its standard clutch... but i could be wrong.. i can find out tho... the previous owner is in the force and was an enthusiast... maybe on here lol

the clutch is a little juddery when its cold also but after 2 or 3 mins of driving its fine..

Back