questions power dirrerence between jap wagons and saloons

stephen wrx

Sunday Drivers
ok her i go any info is much appreciated....i have the haynes scooby book and in it it says how the my98 or e series jap wrx power output is 280ps in the saloon...and 250 ps in the same year wagon...as far as i can see the difference is in the turbos....i think it td04 and td 05....and im assuming a different map to suit....my question really is does any one know more about this than me...my thinking it if i get a e series saloon and ecu...will they pop straight into my car....and hopefully make a difference ...does this make sense to anyone else?????thanx in advance for any knowledge shared

i have never heard of a e series in scooby world talk!!

the my98 wrx would have 250ps only the sti would have 280ps

i dont know if there is a difference between a wagon wrx and a saloon wrx in power.

i dont understand you on this one doh "my thinking it if i get a e series saloon and ecu...will they pop straight into my car....and hopefully make a difference"

odviouslt Stephen has a wrx wagon
he is wondering if he was to change the ecu and turbo from an sti into his car would it run the same power as an Sti (if i have read correctly)

long and short answer as far as i am aware is "No"
there are more differences between wrx engines and sti engines

you would need the sti heads etc etc etc aswell as far as i am aware.....

I may be wrong but someone will be along shortly that knows better than me

good man hammie

you should get a job as a code unlocker as i didnt understand much of it, but i understand what you got from it and your right, it wouldnt work.

the best thing to do stephen, is get a full decat exhaust and good air filter and a remap and you would get 280ps from your own motor

by e series I think Stephen is refering to its model year as being MY98

example...
GC8F2DD

is MY99

replace the F with an E and you have a MY 98

sorry lads was the internet on my phone when i posted that so i lost a few words on the screen......yes i did mean turbo and ecu...hammie but not from a sti...going by chassi codes in the haynes book E series saloons....as andy c explained are rated at 280 ps....i know stis are only down as that power rating but i think thats just for the benefit of a sort of gentlemans agreement in japan not to produce cars more than 300ps...there was a similar agreement in germany as regards to speed...any one know is there a different turbo on a my98 wagon as opposed to a saloon....???

[quote author=stephen wrx link=topic=27694.msg323834#msg323834 date=1290104354]
sorry lads was the internet on my phone when i posted that so i lost a few words on the screen......yes i did mean turbo and ecu...hammie but not from a sti...going by chassi codes in the haynes book E series saloons....as andy c explained are rated at 280 ps....i know stis are only down as that power rating but i think thats just for the benefit of a sort of gentlemans agreement in japan not to produce cars more than 300ps...there was a similar agreement in germany as regards to speed...any one know is there a different turbo on a my98 wagon as opposed to a saloon....???
[/quote]
Steven
My apologies I picked you up wrong! If you could post up a like to the information or to where you read it I might understand a bit better! As per Bawagons beliefs I thought a WRX wagon and saloon were all same power
Still not sure what the E series is tho?
Perhaps it's like the Uk and Irish spec being a different power rating to the jap imports due to reigning in the power to be more mechanically friendly due to the shite grade of fuel we get here compared to other countries?

Here's the listing for you car and it shows the differance between the saloon and wagon
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/SidcFaq/JapaneseProductionRuns
Wrx Saloon = gc8e48d 280ps
Wrx wagon = gf8e58d 250ps

The E standing for the model year, i would imagine you could swap your tdo4 for the tdo5 not sure if you would also need the ecu from the same wrx saloon but it might avoid you needing to get a remap, but in saying that you may be get away with swapping the tubo with out a remap, but im no expert on that, try check your ecu number with a saloon of the same year and see if maybe they have the same ecu,
they would be running pretty much the same everything else like injectors and so on, but as above a few things like decat pannel filter exhaust would get you to around that figure anyway :thumbsup:

Realistically I'd say (unless your doing everything yourself) you would be lucky to buy and fit the ecu and turbo for less than 400 or 500 euro!
It would there for make more sense to get a re-mappable ecu that you can gain more out of at a later date with a bigger turbo injectors etc!!!!

This way you will get more power than standard and you can buy the extra goodies over time!!!

cheers for your input lads and scooby
1wrx...thats exactly wat im on about but i think id need a matching ecu though for the map otherwise
My af ratio will be all
wrong.....i think anyway.hammie you were thinking right im a mechanic...right lads im getting off this phone now coz its wrecking my head..and sorry for any mistakes...ill try get on pc later

Back