Buying 2001 bugeye STI advice needed.

O

Omeara_darragh

Lads,

Lookin for some advice, I'm gonna be going over to look at a 2001 bugeye STI in 2 weeks time over in the UK. The car has only been freshly imported from Japland and is in immaculate condition in every way. It has just had all belts including timing belt done and full service and has only 59k miles on the clock. It is completely standard apart from a boost gauge.

Just looking for some tips on checking this car out as it is costing me a lot to buy and I dont want to be caught with a lemon.

What are the things to look out for?

What goes wrong on these cars?

Are the engines a bit more reliable than the older say Ver 3 STI's?

Finally just a few other questions I have..

Should this have DCCD fitted to the car? ( Its a wagon if this makes an difference )

Will the 2001 model have Brembos or Subaru 4 pot brakes?

Will the exhaust from my 1996 Ver3 fit this car?

What kind of map do I need for this to make it run on 95 RON? I know about the ECUTEK map (Thanks Renno) but is there any other types of map I can get done or can I get an Apexi Power FC and get this fitted and mapped?

What is a 2001 STI wagon with 59k in WR blue in perfect condition worth over here? I've put a pic on here see below..

Yea you can get it tek 3 mapped or buy apexi ecu and get mapped.. think apexi works out about 3 to 4 hundred euro more exp than tek3 on your standard ecu.. Renno is your man for this which ever way you want to go, anyone in club will vouch for him, i certainly will..
I would have a good listen for knock in engine and notchy gears, drive her hard out through all the gears to make sure any of them are not baulky going into gear at high revs.. other than that just the usuall crash checks.. do an AA check on her to verify miles or damage reports and trust no sellers.. make sure all your paper work is in order.. not sure bout price and the dccd..
i know of a nice white jap wrx bugeye with all sti extras saloon or 04 black uk sti saloon with prodrive performance upgrade.. be 20k euro on uk reg and can be cleared as standard wrx for 5k. no sti or prodrive on documentation, be cheap 04 car. but mayb you wnt wagon

What are the things to look out for?

SAME AS EVERY CAR!

What goes wrong on these cars?

AS ABOVE :roll:

Are the engines a bit more reliable than the older say Ver 3 STI's?

YES BIT MORE RELIABLE AND HAS A BETTER MORE INTELLIGENT ECU BUT A RE-MAP IS STILL NEEDED FOR SAFETY AND GAINS :D

Finally just a few other questions I have..

Should this have DCCD fitted to the car? ( Its a wagon if this makes an difference )

NEARLY SURE THE WAGON DO NOT

Will the 2001 model have Brembos or Subaru 4 pot brakes?

YES SHOULD HAVE THE BREMBOS ALL ROUND

Will the exhaust from my 1996 Ver3 fit this car?

THINK DOWNPIPE SHOULD.. CENTRE AND BACKBOX DIFFERENT SO NO..

What kind of map do I need for this to make it run on 95 RON? I know about the ECUTEK map (Thanks Renno) but is there any other types of map I can get done or can I get an Apexi Power FC and get this fitted and mapped?

YOU CAN GET THE POWER FC.. AM SURE RENNO WOULDA TOLD YE... :thumbsup:

What is a 2001 STI wagon with 59k in WR blue in perfect condition worth over here? I've put a pic on here see below..

VERY VERY HARD TO SAY.. ALTHOUGH CURRENT AND PREVIOUS WAGON OWNERS LOVE THEM.. MOST DO NOT.. THEREFORE MAYBE 17-19K

It might be just me but the wheels on her are WRX wheels not STI ones and I zoomed in on the picture and I cann't see a trace of Brembo's. Not two up on the STI Wagons but I think that is a WRX with STI light covers. Could be Wrong.

Googled My01 WRX STI Sports Wagon there and got nothing. Has anyone here any info on them? I never heard of the STI wagon after the classics! But as I said I could be wrong. Interested myself now. :subaru: :thumbsup:

Eric,

Well spotted. I sent him a message to find out what type of brakes it had myself. The engine says its an sti though so I'm gonna have to investigate

Hi Daragh, As above No power fc for your car. Your car being a newage Jap the exhaust from your classic should go straight on. Your model Jap imports have the same 3 piece system as the classic but the UK ones have a 2 piece downpipe and 4 piece overall.

AND IIRC the pistons and rods in that ver are alot better then the GC8 aswell.

Damo

Well the sets are sti in the wagon from the Pics and the engine sure is an STI engine. As I said I don't know the STI Wagon spec or that there even was one but for your sake I hope it is an STI and that tyou both live Happily ever after. Best of Luck Omeara_darragh. It'll be a first for the club. :thumbsup: :subaru: :headbanger: but I'm quite sure that those wheels do not fit over Brembo's!!

The jap spec cars sometimes have smaller wheels than UK cars. In the US the bugeye came with 16 inch wheels as standard and only the STI came with 17 inch wheels. Its hard to tell without a good side on shot but I think this is a genuine STI. Is the gear box a 6 speed box? Any pics of the speedo and taco dials?

kenc's 04 sti Prodrive reged as a wrx would make a great buy as you could tax and reg it as a wrx which would claw back the extra expense of it being a newer car in the long run.

Frawls

[quote author=Renno555 link=topic=3203.msg31349#msg31349 date=1186678170]
Hi Daragh, As above No power fc for your car. Your car being a newage Jap the exhaust from your classic should go straight on. Your model Jap imports have the same 3 piece system as the classic but the UK ones have a 2 piece downpipe and 4 piece overall.

AND IIRC the pistons and rods in that ver are alot better then the GC8 aswell.

Damo
[/quote]

Is the backbox hanging brackets and length not different from classic to newage???

(i'm not too high up on exhausts though...)

Some of them are yeh, The Hawkeye STI is a bitch, 90% of them use the 3 piece same as classic but there coming in with 3 piece and 4 piece for some reason.

The Jap New Age ( until it went twin scroll ) has the same exhaust layout and length as the classic (3 piece). The backbox shouldnt be a problem as its Jap, the rear bracket should be in the right place aswell. I was thinking he would have to swap the rear hanger around 180 degrees but I think that would only be on a UK one but even if he has to do that its no big deal. IIRC the backbox fits straight through the front hangers too.

Know where theres a 01 going for 13000 -03 engine and spec. dog box etc.needs clutch stil driving-might be worth the risk

Back