Advice Needed Please

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
have decided to keep my car and fix it up so took it off Donedeal :subaru:

I cant afford a rebuild of the engine at the mo so was thinking of dropping a 2nd hand engine in to keep me going until i can
my problem is the car is a 96 WRX V-Limited which were approx 260Bhp standard so i was wondering if a STi engine would drop straight in without have to change ecu/electrics or would i have to get a 224bhp WRX engine for it to work properly
Probably a stupid question :whistle: but just want to be sure

Cheers
John

no it wouldnt work you would need the sti ecu intercooler piping possible engine loom fuel pump and i dont think the wrx gearbox and diff would like all that power either
could be done but it would not be as straight forward as just droping in a sti lump

if you were just dropping in a short block, any block will do i.e. sti,wrx

but if it were a full complete engine i.e. block,heads,inlet manifold, it would need to be the same for the ecu's wiring

So realistically, he could drop in the WRX block and only have to change ancillaries? Heads, turbo etc etc etc????
Or did I pick you up wrong there Duffman?

theres a few issues here

he never said what problem he had so it hard to say, like is his heads are fooked or his block.

he also talks about bhp witch doesnt matter as thats got to do with the ecu not the engine block or heads.

he either needs a new block(if thats the problem)with all his own ancillaries or he could drop in a complete wrx engine of the same version,which is version 2 i think he may be able to run any v1/v4 engine sti/wrx but im not 100%

but easiest way is to change whats broken.

Thanks for the clarification
It's good to know!!!!!
I wasnt sure if there would have been a more aggressive cam or something in the Sti than the WRX!!!!

Hope this helps you to get back on the road soon fella!!!!

cheers for the replies guys much appreciated :thumbsup:

the problem is the crankshaft is fecked. Where the woodruffkey sits under the crank pulley got damaged, i put a new key in, new pulley, torqued to correct tightness and the new pulley is spinning like rugbyball now again :angry1:

So all she needs is a new crank but i believe thats a full strip of the engine (which i plan to get done at a later stage) but for the moment to keep me going i was hoping to just drop a complete engine in whether it be WRX or STi

[quote author=Kudz link=topic=27572.msg322590#msg322590 date=1289560870]

So all she needs is a new crank but i believe thats a full strip of the engine (which i plan to get done at a later stage)

[/quote]

If thats the plan for a later stage then bring the plans forward if you can. You will only be paying the labour twice for the job. (ie once to have the second hand engine fitted then once again to have it taken out for internal upgrades). So ideal thing to do would be to bring your plans forward, but of course, easier said than done these days.

Back