scooby rumble question

gersti

Petrolheads
hi lads i currently changed my manifold on my type r it had a equal length manifold on it but didn like the sound of it and wanted that rumble back in it so when i was gettin my rebuild done as i was puttin the engine and bits back in i changed and put on a unequal length manifold also a up pipe it has a japspeed down pipe and i think an apexi n1 exhaust on it 3.5 or 4inch but still hasn got that deep burble im after any1 else running there scooby on apexi systems or any help cheers :thumbsup:

The loudest system I've ever heard with proper flat 4 rumble
Was on my mates Sti version 5.he had a full 5zigen system
With de-cat.
Mother of god that rumbled!!

Decat makes a big difference. Very noticeable when I had mine done. The flat 4 rumble really came alive.

I think the classics and the old leggys definately sound the best, whats the difference with them compared to say a newage wrx sti :dontknow:

The unequal headers is what gives the burble but the apexi system probably gives a much raspier sounding exhaust note rather than the low deep burble that the likes of blitz or H&S provide..

yeah it is a unequal wit a up pipe the equal length hadn got a seperate up pie it has a de cat downpipe and all in it but still no flat 4 rumble mate mine has a apexi 2 as far as i know and it has proper flat 4 rumble :dontknow:

thats a weird problem alright sure see can u get a lend of an exhaust system of one of the site traders to see if that gives the rumble if so its the exhaust if not i duno wat the problem could be since u have unequal headers

[quote author=ger sti link=topic=27483.msg321419#msg321419 date=1288901575]
yeah it is a unequal wit a up pipe the equal length hadn got a seperate up pie it has a de cat downpipe and all in it but still no flat 4 rumble mate mine has a apexi 2 as far as i know and it has proper flat 4 rumble :dontknow:
[/quote]

equal length header can have sepeate up pipe also you know,

had equal length header with seperate up pipe on my yoke before had no rumble changed to unequal header now has rumble with full 3 inch turbo back

de-cat system :dontknow:

Get a swap of someones exhaust that you know has a lovely rumble and throw yours onto their yoke

If they still have rumble and you don't then you know it's your headers still equal length

the mate has a v4 type r sounds deadly ill swap it wit his and ill know then def unequal the 4 pipes come into 1 at the up pipe wher the old 1 was jus equal

Lots of aftermarket unequal length headers will have less rumble than stock headers because stock are 2 into 1, then 2 into 1 again. The aftermarket items are generally 4 into 1. 4-1 is much better from a maximum flow perspective, but you lose the boxer grumble because the exhaust gases are not getting interrupted so much. What you need is a decat, equal length headers and at least 1.2bar at 6k rpm...you wont miss the rumble anymore :)

Richard

The standard cast manifold is the best sounding rumble, once you go stainless material the sound changes and is not as deep, more tinny sound.
Both equal and un equal after market headers come with a seperate up pipe.
If you want the deep burble back, pick yourself up a set of ported standard ex manifold and ported up pipe from Harvey on Scoobynet, best set up for 400bhp :thumbsup:

Get a ported up pipe, it ment to make a good difference. wont effect the rumble

[quote author=KENC link=topic=27483.msg329156#msg329156 date=1293136238]
Get a ported up pipe, it ment to make a good difference. wont effect the rumble
[/quote]
is there any1 around who would port it

What is your set-up? Porting the up-pipe is only worthwhile if running high boost and remapped to suit. Assuming you still have a MAF, best bet for rumble is to fit OEM headers. If remapped, and definitely if running without a MAF, then be careful - making changes to the flow of gases through your engine can seriously affect the zones you are hitting...with not nice results!

Richard

I wouldnt agree with that at all.

Ger has got himself the standard manifold so thats his rumble sorted, now he is looking for an up pipe, he might aswell get a ported one while he is at it.

If getting into the nitty gritty he will need a remap anyway as he has went from equal to un equal.

Ported up pipes, especially ones from Harvey in UK have proven themselves over and over, probably not many cars in UK that dont have one at this stage, tonnes of threads about these, do a search.

I dont understand why you are talking about whether Ger is maf less or running maf as it has no relevance to his up pipe query???, or relevance to anything really.

Whether the car is running maf, or using an aftermarket ecu and is maf less makes no difference, both should be mapped for any intake/exhaust/fuel changes to get maximum benefit safety

its currently holdin 1.2/1.3 bar boost its going to get a simtec after x mas fingers crossed its runnin a apex maf at the min but wit simtec u can run it without the maf i think ill look into gettin a ported up pipe before i change the manifold hopefully sorted then but wont need a remap it changin back to stock headers

Back