Brakes

R

Renno555

Same again what set up have you got.

Ive EBC Redstuff Pads and EBC Discs with Goodridge steel brake lines and Motul Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid. Standard 4 pot Calipers.

Ive heard a few people who dident think the EBC where great but ive found a huge difference from standard.

Ive been hearing great things about Ferodo though anyone using them ????

Damo

Right lads lets start this again..... George you have PM :angry:

I have Mintex pads with 4 pots and find them fairly good - although they do give off alot of dust and can squeal sometimes...

Are the Redstuff competition pads? Does this mean they take a while to heat up for maximum performance :ponder:

Alan.

Cheers Alan back on track.

As far as I know the old redstuff compound took a while to heat up but the new one is fine.

i have red stuff all round and ebc disc at the back,new ones coming shortly,and i find the very good, :thumbsup:

Lads is it REALLY worth replacing just the front brake pipes? I mean really, from a performance point of view.

See I dunno if it would be worthwhile jus doin the front, was wonderin what you all thoughht bout it!

Thanks alan. Start again :thumbsup:

In my opinion EBC Redstuff pads with EBC discs are a fair improvement over standard discs and pads. from my experience with a friends cossie he tried lots of combinations and for road/mild track use the mintex pads with M1144 compund and mintex dimpled and grooved discs worked about the best with ferodo and brembo not too far behind. for track use the M1155 compound is probably best. to be honest without slagging off anybody who has EBC they didnt even come close to the others.

with subaru's its the same as all the brake pad compounds stay the same just different size pads and discs basically. at the end of the day i think it boils down to how much your willing to spend on brakes as mintex are very expensive and EBC are a lot cheaper. also depends on what sort of power your dealing with and what sort of use the brakes are gonna get. theres no point spending mental money on brakes if your not gonna use them if ya know what i mean :D

George

on my own car i still have to get bigger brakes :roll:
its the one thing ive been putting off but will defo be getting them now for when she goes back on the road. what i did do with my brakes was i put goodridge braided hoses on it and ferodo racing 5.1 fluid in it and a BCS. the difference in the pedal feel is enormous and notice straight away when i jump in a scooby without them.

Wats a BCS??? And have a EBC up front with my brembos. Crap and fade handy enough after a few bends. Going to try ferodo ds2500 next time round. Would never use EBC again.

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=372.msg2616#msg2616 date=1158098702]
Wats a BCS??? And have a EBC up front with my brembos. Crap and fade handy enough after a few bends. Going to try ferodo ds2500 next time round. Would never use EBC again.
[/quote]

hi dave,

Brake Cylinder Stopper. it bolts onto your drivers side valance and basically reduces or stops your whole master cylinder from moving in and out due to the bulkhead flexing, really improves the pedal feel and isnt crazy money.

the ferodo's are great you should notice a really big difference with them, id advise though to get rid the EBC discs aswel and get the ferodo discs to go with the pads although id say you were already planning that.

will post pics of the BCS fitted tomorrow :thumbsup:

What colour are the pads, Green , Red or Yellow.

Is the fade a hard pedal with no stopping power, or the pedal going soft.

John

brake fade is basically when your brakes superheat and the coefficient of friction between pads and disc reduces to almost nothing. Pedal hardness isnt affected usually. :thumbsup:

There are 2 types of brake fade.

If the brake pedal is hard and the brakeing force is diminished,it is the pads. This is caused by the brake pad being subject to tempreture's above what it is designed to operate. This can be cured by extra cooling or moveing to a pad capable of higher temp's. It can also be caused by trying to bed it the pads to quickly or to hard, (common). If this happen's to a pad it should be replaced.

If the pedal goes soft, and brakeing force is diminished, it is caused by boiling ther brake fluid.This is caused by not replaceing the fliud often enough, or using a fliud that cannot handle the heat.

I gained this experience when running a few Formula Honda cars for Jedi Racing for few years, and running a Lighting Rod in the UK. Some experience in the Monoposto Championship also.

John

hey guys,
i have a contact at ebc brakes, he is a rally marshal with the same club im in, he sorted out a deal for 1/2 price products + postage + vat
but there is a limit to the quantity i can buy per year, ill e-mail him an see wot i can get, if ya can send me details of wot ur lookin for.

jonny

I have the Mintex M1155 up front, find them a big improvement even with standard disc's.

Only complaint is that there are noisey at low speed, but they are a race compound.

In my opinion Scooby brakes are not great as standard even the later models with the 4 pots.

So anything you do has to be an improvement. Will defo up grade the lines in the future.

Eamonn

[quote author=eamo link=topic=372.msg2695#msg2695 date=1158222343]

I have the Mintex M1155 up front, find them a big improvement even with standard disc's.

Only complaint is that there are noisey at low speed, but they are a race compound.

In my opinion Scooby brakes are not great as standard even the later models with the 4 pots.

So anything you do has to be an improvement. Will defo up grade the lines in the future.

Eamonn
[/quote]

hi eamo,

when your changing the pads i recommend you try M1144 as they are more suited to road and arent as noisey as M1155, also use the mintex dimpled and grooved discs and you will see the difference is huge. id say you must be eating the standard discs with the M1155's :D :)

George

Thanks George,

I would have bought the M1144 but one of the lads on the site had a spare set of the M1155's for sale, so i said id give them a try.

As for the disks, i changed the front's when i got the car just for standard one's as a stop gap.

When fund's allow i'll be changing to the mintex disc's and braided hoses.

Eamonn

Back