In traffic, engine revs around 1500-2000 rpm engine feels imbalanced

johnoirl

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi Lads.
yesterday was stuck in limerick traffic and today kilkenny.
i noticed that the engine reved around 1500-2000 rpm when stopped and it felt like an imbalance in the engine or a slight rocking.... engine temp gauge was fine.
any ideas?

cheers guys

j

Hi Lads.
no ive done nothing to the engine, now saying that, a newer engine was put in a week before i bought it. he said only 47000km on the new engine and 87 on the car. how true that i dont know.
i did see the old engine on the floor dead.. LOL
wondering if a diag will show up if the engine check light is not on.? anyone know anyone decent in carlow with a diag?

cheers lads

j

So your engine is rocking and you have a CEL flashing. :ponder: Time to contact one of the traders for diagnosis imo. There are a couple in Meath area not too far. :thumbsup:

Don't take this the wrong way dude, but did you get the motor fully checked before ya took her. You not the first in the last few months that bought a b4 that had a good few probs from the start. Have u any come back from the guy ya bought it from?

hi dossie.
i wouldnt say i got it fully fully checked....
i did a swap with my 2002 gti golf for the b4 with a mechanic in bluebell. me is startin to think i got the lesser end of the bargain. :angry1:
the golf was mint! only needed 2 front bushes and a coolant sensor.. feck all work for a mechanic to do.!

dossie take a look here http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107272&pid=371385&st=0&#entry371385
i am missing the thing pointed out with the yellow arrow. would that be causing my car to breath in hot ass air in traffic? maybe ive asked a :cuckoo: question lol

I know it's a bit late now but these motors need to be checked top to bottom before ya buy, so many things can go wrong.
That looks like the intake, it directs cold air into the airbox. I'm no mechanic but I would think you would be more affected at speed, not at idle, could be wrong tho, car would not be getting enough cold air, or any air, your maf could be fcuked already, causing the problems your having
Someone with a bit more knowledge can confirm this. A visit to a trader is a defo for you mate

^^^^ Me thinks so too dude :/ err
its a new maf gone in, but yea maybe its getting all different readings. ah ill bring it to one of the lads and get it tested.
nice one for help
cheers :)

The black part with the yellow arrow is like a trumpet that directs cold air into the air filter.....
saying that tho is there a standard air box in her or is there an after market filter on there in its place?

First thing i would do in that case is remove the resonator from behind the drivers wing, Between inner wing and wing......
that will mean that air supply to the air filter will be taken from outside the engine bay (cooler temps straight away)

I'd also get a diagnostic scan test done. Some fault codes could be sorted

but might not come up on the Check Engine Light.

Go with Hammie suggestion alrite, it'd be great if it just needed cold air coming in.

Hi lads.

Right i brought my car to vag tech in carlow, they are on obrien road carlow.
diag came up knock sensor. he recons cos it was a new engine gone in, that the mecanic that put it in didnt tourqe it properly. so hes gonna try torque it and we will see then, if not its a new one i recon. 30 quid to get it done.. not too bad..
ill repost when its done and see if that solves it.

Re: In traffic, engine revs around 1500-2000 rpm engine feels imbalanced -UPDATE

hi lads, update!!!

i brought my car to RSI in newross. very nice lad there.
take a guess what we found! gwan i dare ya!!

sigh........... why didnt i see this before! :angry1: :1poke:

the intake tube that comes out of the resinator box to the engine wasnt put in correctly. so hence air was coming into the engine before the MAF.
put it on and hey presto. runs so much smoother now :p
now all its missing is hammies suggestion or for me to get the original intake part that goes from the very front into the wing...
i sware im gonna kill that mechanic that put that engine in.. GURRR :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
ill keep yas updated on the next part.

anyway im off to spruce up my grill with a nice black spray and gold mesh :p

You mean the pipe between the airbox and the turbo intake pipe? That's a bad miss by whoever fitted the engine.. At least you're sorted now though, happy motoring :thumbsup:

hahaha i spoke too soon. that frikin cars doin me nut in LOL
i take it away and its ok. then i park up, then i drive around newross, and then cel comes on, revs high, and steering light comes on. i take it to mechanics and all lights are off and its ideling fine. haha i recon somones got a remote for the lights on it to piss me off... or it smells the mechanic and shits its self LOL..
oh dear. back to drawing board...

Back