timing belt problem

kbox

Octane Boostaholics
Lads I've developed a problem with my timing belt. I heard a funny sound coming from engine bay. The car is driving perfectly and cel is not flashing. I thought the sound was coming from alternator but on further investigation i popped off the timing belt cover and noticed the back of the belt is rubbing somewhere. The sound is similar to a belt rubbing alright. The onlo thing I've done recentily is change the rad. I checked both sides of the cover and they're clear of any intrusion which leaves the centre cover to come off. Any ideas what has caused this?

i wudnt drive the car untill you find whats wrong, could be a dodgy auto tensioner, or 1 of the 3 smooth idler pullies

are those pulleys covered by the centre cover and how big a job is it to replace them. The belt will have to be changed anyway now

Yea, you may remove your bottom pully, which can be a pain in the ring.
The auto tensioners on v5 v6 v7 i think are the same iirc, and they can give some trouble if they havent been replaced at some point or have been replaced and not handled correctly.
What i am worried about in your case that one of the smooth idler bearings have maybe become to get tight, or opposite the tensioner is letting off tightness, and belt is slipping across one of these smooth idlers...
Unfortunetly as you may be aware, anything to do with timing belt can end up being disaster, from a standard engine to the gobstopper engine it makes no difference, timing belt breaking or jumping teeth can do alot of damage

all pulleys and tensioners were replaced by previous owner and there's approximately 30k done since. There is a smooth line being worn into back of the belt which makes me think something is stuck inside and rubbing

got this sorted today. There were 2 problems. 1st was the tensiones for the ac belt was seized and secondly just over the crankshaft there is a metal plate/cover which is supposed to sit 1 to 2mm above the timing belt. It was sitting on the belt. There were lumps gouged out of the belt. All in the job cost 155 for new timing belt, power steering, ac belt and pulley. i got the pulley myself so my mechanic charged a whopping 120 for doing the belts for me which included him supplying the parts

Back