over heating

bugeye555

Middle Lane Hogs
01 bug just over heated today out of nowere i was just sitting with the car ticking over and noticed the heat gauge go up and opened the bonnet and coolant was bubbling , the fan never kicked in any ideas ??

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=27123.msg317851#msg317851 date=1287128374]
Dodgy thermostat...?
[/quote]

Could try taking the thermostat out and placing it in hot water. If it opens then thats the thermostat ruled out. Most likely the temp sensor then.

Done a bit of checking on the car today as it happened last night the car is grand when driven its only when stopped ticking over that it heats up also noticed today the fan is kicking in but still have the coolant bubling no steam at the moment comming out of the bonnet as i turn the engine off when the coolant starts bubling. Any ideas ?

Thanks for the info so far,
Gar

Would it be the water pump by any chance? Also, if you find the temperature raising too high then put the heating up on full and open your windows. This will take a bit of the heat away and decrease your temperature overall. It worked for me as a temporary fix when my head gasket went :thumbsup:

Hope this helps you and it gets sorted soon

Unlikely water pump as they rarely fail. Have you changed the coolant recently? Could be airlock in the system?

Temp sensor, thermostat or head gasket problem I'd say.

Back