Oil pressure gauge question

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Will be fitting oil pressure gauge tomorrow, im just curious about something, when you drive the car from a cold start until it warms up is there a diffference in pressure? as in when the oil is up to temp will the pressure settle at a certain bar? It would be handy to know while driving that by looking at oil pressure gauge you know oil is warmed up nicely and you can put the boot down fully :)

With mine, when cold the oil pressure is at about 6.5 bar. When warm on idle its at about 2 bar and when driving will be at 6 bar when accelerating or climbing revs, and anywhere inbetween when not accelerating or decelerating naturally.

[quote author=sligo_dave link=topic=27120.msg317832#msg317832 date=1287091043]
With mine, when cold the oil pressure is at about 6.5 bar. When warm on idle its at about 2 bar and when driving will be at 6 bar when accelerating or climbing revs, and anywhere inbetween when not accelerating or decelerating naturally.
[/quote]

so not much difference really while driving between cold start driving and when warmed up

no difference dan, you need an oil temp guage or

wait for the standard temp guage to hit the middle and then wait 5 mins but the most important time really is the first 5 mins especially first thing in the morning or after not using it for a while

ye i was thinking that, standard temp gauge is usually up to temp for a few mins before i get onto roads i can put the boot down anyway! might get an oil temp gauge if i ever get the airvent boost gauge i saw a while back, but its still only prototype stages. Prefer not to have the gauges stuck onto the dash, 2 of them fit nicely in the centre cubby area

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=27120.msg317834#msg317834 date=1287091844]

so not much difference really while driving between cold start driving and when warmed up
[/quote]

Not exactly.

Cold start the pressure will be a lot higher as the oil is thicker. Once warmed up the oil thins out hence pressure drops.
Once warmed up at idle the pressure should be a lot lower than from a cold start.
However once accelerating through the gears the pressure will rise once again.
When changing gear you should also see a slight drop in pressure then rise in pressure again when you let the clutch out.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=27120.msg317855#msg317855 date=1287128836]
[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=27120.msg317834#msg317834 date=1287091844]

[/quote]

Not exactly.

Cold start the pressure will be a lot higher as the oil is thicker. Once warmed up the oil thins out hence pressure drops.
Once warmed up at idle the pressure should be a lot lower than from a cold start.
However once accelerating through the gears the pressure will rise once again.
When changing gear you should also see a slight drop in pressure then rise in pressure again when you let the clutch out.
[/quote]

Exactly as i was trying to say it but more eloquently said. on idle cold is bout 6.5 bar, on idle warmed up is about 2 bar. :thumbsup:

Back