badly mounted tyres

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Im just wondering is it possible for a tyre to be mounted improperly, causing vibration. i have had vibration on motorways ever since i got the 18's with the vredsteins fitted. they have been balanced 3 times, last time on saturday. Guy in the tyre place said that Vredstein tyres are not designed for Subaru's and if i change them the vibration would go away!(never heard such a bad sales pitch!)

i think i need to try someones wheels on my car that have no vibration what so ever, and put mine on theirs and see if the vibration is on donor car! All tyres look fine/ wearing evenly, with only about 5k on them.

If no vibration on other car at least i can rule out the wheel/tyre combo being the issue!

If anyone would like to help me out in this experiment some evening, it would be greatly appreciated. i would say only the front would need to be swapped over

Cheers

Dan

Ha Dan,

I have a set of 18's out the back was going to put them back on my car over the weekend.
If you want to try them out just let me know,

Rob

[quote author=Smokey 24 link=topic=26967.msg316261#msg316261 date=1286317551]
Ha Dan,

I have a set of 18's out the back was going to put them back on my car over the weekend.

Rob
[/quote]

Where abouts you living Rob? Are those 18s properly balanced etc? Might take you up on the offer if your around over the weekend!

As above, sounds like a buckled alloy.

Never heard of a certain tyre being made for Subarus. Thats a weird one.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=26967.msg316311#msg316311 date=1286359637]
As above, sounds like a buckled alloy.

Never heard of a certain tyre being made for Subarus. Thats a weird one.
[/quote]

alloys look fine to me, they are fairly new aswell. and vibration has been there since they were fitted a few months back

a friend of mine had the same prob with an audi.. turns out the fellow that fitted tyres only balanced front tyres and he brought it back to him numerous times to sort but he couldnt sort it... he brought it to a different place and they balanced back tyres and problem solved... :thumbsup:

[quote author=padraic link=topic=26967.msg316320#msg316320 date=1286363479]
a friend of mine had the same prob with an audi.. turns out the fellow that fitted tyres only balanced front tyres and he brought it back to him numerous times to sort but he couldnt sort it... he brought it to a different place and they balanced back tyres and problem solved... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

been to 3 different places, all 4 tyres balanced

Keith Dublin and StiBrian are both running Vredstein tyres and have no issues with them... Brian swears by them...

After market wheels can be easily mounted incorrectly causing vibration if they do not come with the hubcentric spacer piece (usually plastic)... For example, my PFF7 replicas require a yellow plastic insert in the wheel which fits tightly over the hub ring that sticks out 8mm from the disk in order to centre the disks..

Also, if the nuts have not been tightened oppositely, then its possible the wheel could be a fraction off centre..

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=26967.msg316269#msg316269 date=1286319290]
[quote author=Smokey 24 link=topic=26967.msg316261#msg316261 date=1286317551]
Ha Dan,

Rob
[/quote]

Where abouts you living Rob? Are those 18s properly balanced etc? Might take you up on the offer if your around over the weekend!
[/quote]

I live about 5 mins away from the Spawell give me a call and I will meet you there :thumbsup:
Just let me know before you head over to make sure that I am there.

Ph 087 7993660

you cant get badly mounted tyre's but you can get badly made tyre's.

wat i mean by that is the weight is not evenly distrabuted over the whole tyre so you get a heavy spot causing vibration.

what speed does this happen at if you dont mind me asking?

The amount of people who have no clue how to properly balance a wheel is unbelievable. Its like driving, everything thinks they can do it well. Your wheels are definitely not balanced properly. I had the same problem on my last Subaru and after 4 different places who claimed to have the best equipment and knowledge I went to a guy who specializes in taking buckles out of alloys who said he could help me. True to his name he balanced the wheels perfectly and hey presto no more problems.

Not only do most people not take the time to do the job right, they do not calibrate the balancing machine (or more accurately, they do not know how to calibrate the balancing machine). This results in the car suffering no vibration around 60mph but vibration creeping in above 70mph. Someone who really knows their stuff will even be able to balance out a slight buckle in a wheel. For AWD cars all 4 wheel must be balanced unlike a FWD car when you really only have to balance the front wheels.

Can someone recommend someone who really knows how to balance a wheel properly?

Are these the wheels you had powder coated Dan? I've heard of powder coating causing balancing problems when its not done right.

@FRAWLs: i would love to know a place in Ireland thats competent at this job, but i am still in search of this! Last car couldn't be cured by anyone in Ireland, ended up making a trip over Essex in Uk to Wheels in motion to get the inner tyre wear on the Altezza sorted

@Johnb4, might need ur assistance on weekend alright

@Mark: these are brand new alloys i imported from US, old powder coated wheels are well gone!

@tony: anything over 80km on flat road etc, she gets the shakes

@Sweetcakes: wheels are Subaru fitment hubcentric, no spacers needed.

Smokey 24: might take you up on that offer as its only a short blast over the nifty :)

work down near ringsend could get the boss to look at it for you
he would charge you but id be pretty sure hed find a solution hes fairly good with allingment tracking and all that stuff
a lot of places send stuff to him
not sure if any use

Dan

Just to rule everything out! Jack up the 4 corners of the car (1 wheel at a time) and give the wheels a good tug and shake!!!! While it's improbable it is actually possible this issue is coming from something other than poor balancing!
As I say it is improbable but no point wasting cash balancing wheels again and again if the issue is elsewhere!
Also get a flat level surface (must be level) and lie the wheel down on it's face! Put a small spirit level on the hub of the wheel (where the wheel and hub meet) and check the levels

A friend of mine had a similar issue and after balancing the wheels 6 times he sti had the same wobble/shake
It turned out it was a fault in the production of the rims
2 rims replaced and problem sorted

Back