Sloppy Propshaft Centre Bearing

stiimpreza1984

Sunday Drivers
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/en_g10/type_13/train/propeller_shaft/Have a clonk from my propshaft and it happens say if I come off the power and then go back on power on a slow turn round a roundabout normally but it getting annoying now, anyway can I service that centre bearing number 3 in link as looks pretty sealed to me or do I need to replace the whole propshaft my car has round 76k miles on it and do they normally clonk in some cars?? Thanks :thumbsup:

Going to have to get it up on the ramp at the weeked I'll check them thanks :thumbsup: do the centre bearing on propshaft ever give trouble on these cars as if you hold it and move it up and down theirs a lot of play on it?

[quote author=stiimpreza1984 link=topic=26957.msg316402#msg316402 date=1286385365]
Going to have to get it up on the ramp at the weeked I'll check them thanks :thumbsup: do the centre bearing on propshaft ever give trouble on these cars as if you hold it and move it up and down theirs a lot of play on it?
[/quote]

Centre bearings on props are meant to have that much play. The bearing is rubber mounted and there is a lot of give in the rubber mount.

I'd be more concerned that the noise was coming from diff bushes... my own Sti had a similiar clunk on and off the throttle! But the noise you are getting going round round-abouts... could be more like a diff problem rather than a mount or bush problem.

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=26957.msg316464#msg316464 date=1286437395]
[quote author=stiimpreza1984 link=topic=26957.msg316402#msg316402 date=1286385365]
[/quote]

Centre bearings on props are meant to have that much play. The bearing is rubber mounted and there is a lot of give in the rubber mount.

I'd be more concerned that the noise was coming from diff bushes... my own Sti had a similiar clunk on and off the throttle! But the noise you are getting going round round-abouts... could be more like a diff problem rather than a mount or bush problem.
[/quote] Even straight line aswell fella seems to be the case and it clonks say on off the power I have a version 6 RA changed rear diff oil recently and used the OEM oil and no chunks of metal what was the fix for yours just the bushings? thanks for reply

Noise was only in mine on/off throttle in straight line. Never had any probs with diff on turning!

Diff mounts are your best bet... My cars been off the road since noise came into it... long story... but when I stripped diff out of subframe.. diff mounts seem tired and worn so they'll be getting replaced before it's all bolted back together!

[quote author=stiimpreza1984 link=topic=26957.msg318442#msg318442 date=1287422567]
Clonking came back but changed the diff mounts and finally gone happy days :icon_grin:
[/quote]

Delighted to hear... nearly always diff mounts!!! :thumbsup:

ive got that noise as well. kinda sounds the same as if it was the spare wheel in the boot. must check out that bush..
cheers!

Back