Front Mount Troubles!

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Right folks, have a dilema!!

I love the look of a front mount intercooler on an impreza, I have a 94 WRX JDM with nothing done to it at all!
I want to put one in but am nervous of killing the engine, in my limited knowlege if i put it in would the MAF not adjust for the extra cold air comming in?? as apposed to getting it mapped, as i dont have a mappable ecu, have spoken to predator motorsport and they reckon you are ok putting in a front mount and it wont knacker the engine??

Just thought id check it with you guys first!!

Any help Much appreciated

You will get a bit of turbo lag..as far as i know,but if you going to stick on a a front mount,take them time and rather get the proper ecu(apexi)and get it done properly,you wont regret it...IMO... :D

Fair enough, and its my aim to get a mappable ecu, but if i choose to put the intercooler in will it damage my engine??
I know i will get more lag.

yes highly likely........

gather parts then get mapped....

if you want look straght away then put front mount on and modify bumper etc etc and don't connect final pipe work as in stay running top mount til your getting mapped....

Good simple lateral thinkn there Dave.. :thumbsup:i would do that.
i know aswell as anyone that it is hard to have the money to buy loads of stuff you need because u only want one thing.. :dunno:and in your case this is the front mount....
maybe Damo should step in here aswell with his opinion and expertise :clap:,
but i would worry that even if you went and bought your ecu and front mount and robbed a small country post office and went and bought some stage 1 mods like straight through ex, fuel pump ,air filter etc etc... i would be afraid that even when mapped you wouldnt be impressed with the lag because of your standard small turbo.... :doh: maybe im wrong, but i would imagine that standard turbo for that car would struggle.. yes/no experts?????? :ponder:
so i would do what dave said and maybe save up and try to get a different turbo aswell, even a standard scooby one like vf28 or likes..... even keep an eye for 2nd hand bits here :subaru:

Much appreciated lads, I think ill hold off till i can do it all, last thing i wanna do is a half assed job,
this is my second scoob and never really had any bother with them ( touching wood )

Cheers

Agree dont put a front mount on unless getting mapped and even then id make sure there are few other things in place before you go for it. I normally wouldent go front mount on stanard turbo depending what one it is.

Damo

Back