Weird Problem

Speedway

Sunday Drivers
Hi all,

went for a bit of a spin on the lovely roads by Sallygap yesterday and noticed a strange problem with the car seeming to lose power for less than a second in some gears then continuing on as normal.
I thought it was just my imagination but I noticed it again consistently today while doing some city driving.

What I noticed was that while accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear (it might also be in other gears I didn't notice) at 2,000 rpm it loses power for a second.
It's just a little dip in power, so small that I don't think a passenger would notice it but I could feel it with the acceleration pedal.

I'm driving a 2006 Impreza Rx (normally aspirated) with no mods at all. Has about 44,000km on it and was serviced last about 5 months ago.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I think its a power loss, but its just for a second, maybe less, I didn't notice the rev needle dropping.
As strange a description as it is, the best way to describe it is a pulse. Like I can feel the pedal just pulse and the power drop for a second and it works away perfectly then.

[quote author=ALAN link=topic=26707.msg313650#msg313650 date=1285015203]
hardly the clutch starting to slip?
[/quote]

hmmm i hope not. Any checks or symptoms I could look for to see if it is the clutch or the spark plugs/leads?

i've almost identical car with identical mileage and very similar problem. i only bought the car on 30th August and it was supposed to be serviced and ready to go.
For me, when it reaches 1700-1800 revs it just starts to get a bit jumpy and acceleration is lumpy from there to 2500. After that, it just takes off. It's as if the engine is flooded and then frees itself out and is ok then.

I'm taking the word of the salesman when he said it was serviced so i'm thinking it might be dirty petrol?? i bought this stuff yesterday that you add to the petrol in the tank and it seemed to make a small difference but the jumpiness is still there. The car seems to work better when it is cold but after a mile or so it is back to the above.

Apologies Speedway for hijacking your thread, just said I'd add my comment in here when it is similar to yours.

adrian

[quote author=adrianfa link=topic=26707.msg313777#msg313777 date=1285056457]
i've almost identical car with identical mileage and very similar problem. i only bought the car on 30th August and it was supposed to be serviced and ready to go.
For me, when it reaches 1700-1800 revs it just starts to get a bit jumpy and acceleration is lumpy from there to 2500. After that, it just takes off. It's as if the engine is flooded and then frees itself out and is ok then.

I'm taking the word of the salesman when he said it was serviced so i'm thinking it might be dirty petrol?? i bought this stuff yesterday that you add to the petrol in the tank and it seemed to make a small difference but the jumpiness is still there. The car seems to work better when it is cold but after a mile or so it is back to the above.

Apologies Speedway for hijacking your thread, just said I'd add my comment in here when it is similar to yours.

adrian
[/quote]

That's no problem mate. I'm going to do a spark plug and leads change this week and I'll let you know if it changes anything.
Thanks for all of the help so far lads!

My car has done the same from the day i got it ,

basically i have discovered that if i dont buy E5 or apple green 95 the car runs lumpy as feck ,

Even had Sti Brian in the car one day and he noticed how lumpy it was running on topaz , filled up again at a maxol near naas and the problem went on its own ,

i have the car serviced a little more than regular and changed to longlife plugs and never made a bit of difference ,

try maxol for few weeks and could guarantee almost you wont ever have this problem again

Is it just the 2 litres? My 1.6 never did that.

I checked Maxol in Galway. There's one in Tuam which is 20 miles from me, one near Ballinasloe (even further away) and one in Westside but none sell E5, just regular petrol.
Is it Maxol petrol in general that will do the trick, Tommy, or am I wasting my time unless it is E5?
Will an additive in addition to regular petrol help?

The nearest place that sells E5 is in Clarecastle which is ~40 miles from Galway. :sad:

Hi guys,

I seem to remember reading on some forum (scoobynet maybe) that Subaru had a remap for the 2l NA engine in that appeared in the 06-07 models (160bhp version). It wasn't to give any more power, but to give a much smoother delivery of power.

Can't for the life of me remember where I read it for sure but am almost sure I read it. It was basically a remedy to anyone that was having "flat" spots in their acceleration.

Does it ring a bell with anyone else...

Can a main dealer do a remap? I thought it was only people like Dave from sti tuning who did that.
If i mention a remap to the garage i bought it off, i've a feeling i'll be told that my 12 month warranty will be void......

ecu update / revision would be what a main dealer would do
a remap would be for change of configuration to car carried out by a mapper
stand corrected but that is what i have always thought

:iamwithstupid:

Secondary air pump gives probs with these..

A updated remap would be available from a main dealer if it was a recall item as such.. Would be free if a recall situation..

Personally i have found running anything other than MAXOL or apple green with e5 to be troublesome ,

touch wood ive had the car on good fuel the last 6 months and no repeat of the problem ,

Heard of the Air pump issue but not sure how to recognise it happening

this sounds a lot like whats happening to mine - its a difficult one to explain without someone in the car to show them

If it is the same thing going on with mine the pulse lasts for exactly a second and then releases, then pulses again for a further second, this continues until the CEL comes on and then it runs normally til I restart it again, the cycle continues until the CEL reappears and stays on , it runs fine again

What do you think?

Mark

Back