Boost.

E

ericsti

OK so I have a boost gauge for the first time ever in my new car and I'm just wondering what it should be reading.

The car drives perfect and pulls in all gears amazingly. he boost readings all day where 1.4-1.5 with the red light coming on now and then which I think can be set in a simular way to the red light indicator on the clocks of the newage STi.

So is that what it should be reading? Just trying to understand what i'm looking at. The car is standard other then after market STi back box. :thumbsup:

1.4 / 1.5 BAR seems high for a standard car with just back box changed.

Did John or the previous owner have it mapped?

As above! 1.4 is very high!
Standard is around 1 bar!
She's seriously overboosting man take her handy untill you get her checked out!
Dan

u just beat me to it dan :icon_grin:
as above you need to get it checked or if you find out it has been mapped thats a perfect reading

Talked to JohnM today shes not mapped. Just running on E5 since she came in.

Would fitting a boost controller and knocking her back a bit do the job or would a re-map really be needed? Not plaining on modding her.

Indeed a boost controller may help, if the solinoid is the problem!
If the issue is your actuator, then it will not help!
Dan

give one of the traders that do mapping on the site, they would be happy to help. stituning, couture auto, jgm. hope you get it sorted soon man :thumbsup:

Swap out your boost solinoid with someone elses standard 2 port soliniod, that is the most likely, its mounted on the front of the passenger side suspension turret! then go for a spin, If not that,
Then try get your ECU reset! not likely but it is easy!
If neither of them, then almost certainly the actuator!
Hope it works out man!
Dan

Eric as you know i have the wagon and thats fairly standard and boosting at 1.2 and thats probably a bit to much even but having said that never a problem man. But that maybe high for a standard set up. Can't wait to see the motor. :thumbsup:

arfe the boost controllers expensive and are the hard to fit cause mine boosts at 13-14 then comes down to like 7 on occasions its so annoying when u over take a car and dont have the power u was hoping for thier u know

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=26579.msg311893#msg311893 date=1284595879]
Swap out your boost solinoid with someone elses standard 2 port soliniod, that is the most likely, its mounted on the front of the passenger side suspension turret! then go for a spin, If not that,
Then try get your ECU reset! not likely but it is easy!
If neither of them, then almost certainly the actuator!
Hope it works out man!

AFAIK its on the drivers turret dan!!!

Dan
[/quote]

boost gauge can also be inaccurate if not working properly or connected up right, sometimes can be of by .1 or .2, mines at 1.1 on full tilt according the boost gauge before it stopped working!

[quote author=stanley link=topic=26579.msg312006#msg312006 date=1284658698]
arfe the boost controllers expensive and are the hard to fit cause mine boosts at 13-14 then comes down to like 7 on occasions its so annoying when u over take a car and dont have the power u was hoping for thier u know
[/quote]

Your boost gauge must be in PSI, 14 psi is just under 1 bar, so your boost is perfect at that. 7 psi would not be right, check all turbo hoses etc and make sure everything is tight. If in doubt bring it to a trader and they will advise you :thumbsup:

Steve.

my sti was 1.4 or was it 1.5 :ponder2: that was fairly standard and mapped.
Only had a full decat, fuel pump and airfilter.

I dont think its too high, but hey...im no expert :thumbsup:

[quote author=dohc_turbo link=topic=26579.msg312015#msg312015 date=1284662056]
my sti was 1.4 or was it 1.5 :ponder2: that was fairly standard and mapped.
Only had a full decat, fuel pump and airfilter.

I dont think its too high, but hey...im no expert :thumbsup:
[/quote]

But it was mapped, Eric's is not mapped and boosting that high...

id say youre spot on there :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Your boost gauge must be in PSI, 14 psi is just under 1 bar, so your boost is perfect at that. 7 psi would not be right, check all turbo hoses etc and make sure everything is tight. If in doubt bring it to a trader and they will advise you :thumbsup:

Steve.
[/quote]

Hi Eric..

1.1 Bar would be correct level..

I think she has a decat on her so this may be causing the spike..

If not mapping then try changing restrictor pill to 1.0 or 1.1m and this will relax boost level.

Also would first of though plump another boost gauge in make sure readings from genome is correct. Although they are very accurate gauges.

Well lads. A lad off Scoobyireland.com told me to connect the green looms under the drivers side dash and turn the key but not to start the engine. said everything in the engine bay would test itself so I did this. Everything did show signs of testing and he said that the Boost solinoid would thick if it was good. It didn't, not a whisper out of it. I'm going to take it out and check it with one of the lads cars tomorrow to see if ts the solinoid or the wiring going to it. So either way the high boost seems to be because its not working for one of those reasons.

Back