Oil catch can

I fitted 1 of the catch cans from the sn group buy and there a work of art and subaru specific ( 3 inlet ports)
A lot of aftermarket can`s have only 2 inlet ports which will mean T`ing in your 2 cam pipes

fitting secure blanks into the inlet pipe is most important, dont want them sucked into the turbo

So to clarify!
There is a breather on the top of each head, and one or two on the top of the crank case!
They all go from there via 10mm pipes to the turbo inlet pipe (the one that goes under the inlet manifold) so that the oily vapours get sucked in and burned with the fuel, lowering your octane rating and oiling up all the boost pipes which are only designed to carry air!
Harder pushed engines, older engines and forged piston engines exagerate this situation greatly so the Oil catch can is a must for any of the above!
Is that right so far??

By running each of the above mentioned breathers to a seperate catch tank where they can condense and settle, Or an Air/Oil seperator so the oil can drain back to the sump!
Being super carefull to blank off the pipes where they used to go into the turbo inlet pipe so (as kenc said) it doesn't get sucked into the turbo!
Lead the big outlet pipe under the car to behind the gearbox, so smells don't get into the cabin (carbon monoxide is a killer)
Is that Correct?
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=26541.msg311565#msg311565 date=1284500930]
So to clarify!
There is a breather on the top of each head, and one or two on the top of the crank case!
They all go from there via 10mm pipes to the turbo inlet pipe (the one that goes under the inlet manifold) so that the oily vapours get sucked in and burned with the fuel, lowering your octane rating and oiling up all the boost pipes which are only designed to carry air!
Harder pushed engines, older engines and forged piston engines exagerate this situation greatly so the Oil catch can is a must for any of the above!
Is that right so far??

By running each of the above mentioned breathers to a seperate catch tank where they can condense and settle, Or an Air/Oil seperator so the oil can drain back to the sump!
Being super carefull to blank off the pipes where they used to go into the turbo inlet pipe so (as kenc said) it doesn't get sucked into the turbo!
Lead the big outlet pipe under the car to behind the gearbox, so smells don't get into the cabin (carbon monoxide is a killer)
Is that Correct?
Dan
[/quote]

you forgot about returning it back to the sump instead lol :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Both my catch tanks outlets go out under the car!
How is the oil to sump return plumbed??
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=26541.msg311571#msg311571 date=1284502249]
Oh yeah, Both my catch tanks outlets go out under the car!
How is the oil to sump return plumbed??
Dan
[/quote]

fit a oil return from the catch can to a specially adapted sump plug with about 1/2 inch diam pipe.

PCV valve deleted Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=26541.msg311581#msg311581 date=1284503339]
PCV??
Dan
[/quote]

pcv on the rear of the manifold

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=26541.msg311585#msg311585 date=1284503485]
:thumbsup:
Good stuff Daza!
Dan
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Is there any damage done to the oil when it is mixed in the can with moisture?? as i have noticed that condensation does form int the breather pipes

[quote author=KENC link=topic=26541.msg311598#msg311598 date=1284505411]
Is there any damage done to the oil when it is mixed in the can with moisture?? as i have noticed that condensation does form int the breather pipes
[/quote]

you can get a catch can that can seperate the moisture

[quote author=KENC link=topic=26541.msg311760#msg311760 date=1284575638]
Is the oils quality effected?
[/quote]

not at all.

This is what came out of my catch tank about 6 months ago!
Very weird looking after it settled!
Dan

You sure thats not from a Colonic irragation you got done Dan??? :icon_grin:

I hadnt got a return hooked up on my car, i kept an eye on oil level and topped as needed, and fooked the stuff in catch can out, never had much in can do.

See so many debates on which oil is best to use etc etc and people being so exact about it all, i cant see how the oil isnt badly effected by being vapourised and water with it and then going back to liquid form in catch can,
in the stock system, its burnt off and not re used as a lubricant, i know all reasons why its better not to leave stock system in place, but am cautious of re using the catch can oil

Whats up with the car smashed into the pole behind your car Dan? :lol:

I[quote author=hiwd link=topic=26541.msg311958#msg311958 date=1284638089]
Whats up with the car smashed into the pole behind your car Dan? :lol:
[/quote]
Dan lives in the Ghetto, its fairly common to see cars smashed into poles and abonded.
Thats why Dan choose the jeep :1poke:, for that extra bit of security in the hood :icon_grin:

Back