Drinking Petrol - updated 20/09/10 !!

Aaron

Petrolheads
As most of ye know i installed the HKS BOV, but yesterday and today im having problems!

The car is drinking petrol like mad, about 20miles per 1/4 tank, which is not right and something is wrong.

now the HKS Bov has the silver insert and it starts to vent from 1500rpm with is very low and maybe this is causing to run very rich.
was told maybe using a diiferent one could help, so that it doesnt vent at such low RPM.

or

maybe something else is wrong?!? or something wrong with the bov?
any ideas to what i should start looking for or at?

I know people say that the hks can cause you to run abit rich, but this is kinda extreme.

thanks in advance,
Aaron

Re: Drinking Petrol

It would only cause you to run a little rich when you change gear while on boost... And then it would only be for the second until you are accelerating again...

I would imagine its more lambda or maf related..

dont have the old one, sold it on..

will be getting a 2nd stock one, no harm to have it either.

so will see have it plays out over the next week

Sorry to hear about that man, the different inserts would not be the issue, they just make a different noise,

Hope you get it sorted soon :thumbsup:

I just went a bought clips and put them on all the t-pipes on the vacum line to make sure there tight.

Another thing i have an oiled panel filter for a few weeks now, what are the chances of that been an issue with the MAF
not sayin that it is, but im only going back over the stuff i have changed you know.

maybe it was bad petrol is there such a thing?!? i will fill her up again tomorow from a different station and see how it goes. if still the same i will get a stock bov and fit it and see.

how can i get it check to see if its running rich or if there is a sensor problem? can some just plug into the ecu and check?

Did you oil the air filter yourself? The MAF's don't like the oiled type IIRC and they are very easy to over oil.

no it was pre-oiled and have it about 6weeks i say never had an issue with it.

Could it be a case of the ecu re-adjusting to the new BOV?

sorry to hear about youre troubles aaron you can borrow the stock one from my car if you need it

thanks for the offer buckshot, i think i have one sorted if it dont come through i will borrow yours.

hi aaron,
I have the new hks bov fitted to my car an no issues with the fuel at all, i defo dont think it is your ecu re adjusting to the new one you have installed,

Im not sayin you did, but by chance could you of hit off any other sensor's or connectors while fitting the new bov?

I really hope your car gets sorted soon for you.

Rgrds
Tony

i had HKS bov on since last tuesday, went to kerry on friday and didnt seem to have any problems,but did seem to use abit more petrol. i just thought it was my driving abit faster coming home, then it just got worse over the weekend.

@ tony - no i dont think i did, was careful and use to working around the engine.

we see how it goes with all the extra clips to tighen the pipes for the bov and the boost gauge.

no drop in boost and when i shift there is wee bit of stutter i think, not sure.

and come to think of it, about 3 weeks ago i was lettin the car warm up as usual and about 5mins in, i just rev the car lightly a few times and it car almost stalled this happened few days later as well - this is before new bov btw!

My car is a bitch on juice around town. What kind of driving were u doing town or long distance ?

Ive noticed with some garages it does drink the fuel a bit quicker but not the kinda consumption your talking bout but it could be a possibility

i notice the same also
youd wonder is it the fuel stations fiddling the pumps :dontknow:
[quote author=Paul555RA link=topic=26520.msg311195#msg311195 date=1284400381]
Ive noticed with some garages it does drink the fuel a bit quicker but not the kinda consumption your talking bout but it could be a possibility
[/quote]

@ Kanye - it has in town and outside - not hard driving and i know what i normally use aswell. 20miles for 1/4 of a think is abit extreme, and i would be an issue if was driving the shite out of it you know.

so i was out doing a few things with the car..

right...

I put a new pipes to HKS Bov and all nice and tight with screw clamps, so no air getting out anywhere around the t-pieaces or boost gauge.

I took out the oiled panel filter and cleaned instead the filter box with air, the maf sensor visually looks ok (sure that means nothing anyways)

Took it for a 13mile drive, mixed driving hard and soft to test response etc. etc. and used about a niddle width on the fuel gauge compared to 1/4 of a tank for 20miles either today.

1st thing i noticed straight away was when i rev the car quickly a few times from idle to say 2500-3000 it doesn’t feel like its bogged down or have that "going to stall feeling"

1st to 2nd gear there was abit of a stutter (not sure if it’s the right word) in gear change, i says its due to the BOV and all other gears now change smoothly, where before there was abit of stutter/hestiation.

Now this is interesting... The BOV is not as loud until i hit 3000rpm + as where before it was kind of loud even at 1500rpm so it’s not vent as much so maybe the clips have helped i don’t know could also be in my head also. you know how it is sometimes LOL

either way the car drove alot smoother i feel.

so i have to go Killarney on Sunday and i know i normally use just over 1/2 tank to get there and back so we'll see how it compares. Most likely the best test i reckon for now as its mixed driving along the way.

thanks for your input and sure if you think of anything for me to test or look for please say.
Aaron

no this is a silly one but when i had it on mine i had to change the ring gasket as it had a tiny tear in it and was getting a whistle sound out of it, im sure you check that already but worth a punt :ponder2:

hope you get it sorted soon matey :thumbsup:

i tell i did go to have a look, but i could get it off the flange.. that fooking clip i was afraid to break it.

maybe just order one and change it anyways, sure my local guy would get that clip off easier than i

this is it http://www.hksusa.com/images/?id=1276

Back