Making standard airbox louder??For more induction and wastegate noise!

F

forester sti

Lads
I remember reading a thread about someone wanting an induction kit just for the noise, and someone here forwarded on a link to some company who make a pipe that goes straight from the front of the car to the standard airbox (bypassing the silenser box in the drivers side wing) hence making more induction and wastegate noise without the need for a remap!
As I've just spent a load of money on getting the car mapped, I would like to find this company and get one of these pipes!
But I cant find that thread,,does anyone remember anything like this from the last couple of weeks/months
thanx lads,
Dan

Hi,
I just waisted about a half hour wit a reply to you explaining, everything, including what so called waste gate chatter is or isnt as it says on the tin... and the freakn thing didn come up on screen and i lost it... so hear goes again mate

That pipe your on about will do nothing for you, :dunno: :ponder: :wall:

Just remove your resonator from inner wing, and dont bother spending the money on it, you will have to remove resonator box ne way.. but you will not hear ne difference at all.. trust me i done 3 different cars.. by removing resonater and thats all essentially that bit of fancy expensive pipe work is doing.
Am i right in saying there an Aussie company???? I had looked at one b4 and it was an Aussie company that recomended it and had it.

For your induction snore when throttling up you need a cone filter or induction kit of some good recomended form.. ask renno,, this will give you your induction snore wen putting foot down and a bit of a sneeze sound when taking foot off if your using standard recirculating valve... :D

That "waste gate chatter" you mentioned is wrongly named as it has not a thing to do with the waste gate.. it should be called "turbo sh#ting itself noise" :wall:

This fluttering sound is achieved by disconecting your standard recirc valve or after market dump valve by some means, usully taking off the vacum hose and blocking it... so what happens when you do tis i hear you ask????? you put foot down and turbo spools up to someting like 30000 rpms??? i stand corrected if more or less.. you have full boost.. you lift your foot, butterfly in throttle body says ive enuf and closes.. your built up pressure is then suppose to escape into atmosphere via a dumpvalve giving you the dump valve sound or be recirculated via your standard recirc valve back into intake pipe after filter and b4 turbo giving you that sneeze sound i mentioned above if using a cone filter or induction kit... :thumbsup:

But if you have disabeled the recirc or dumpvalve it cannot escape and when throttle body closes the pressure is force back through intercooler and back into turbo the wrong way, forcing air again the propelor blades in wrong direction and giving you that fluttering sound you want,,,, but causes turbo stall and in some cases can stop the propellor and revese it giving you less response wgen you put your foot back down as turbo has to spool from srart again.. this is not good for turbo and some turbos are better than others for sticking the hardship.. :doh:

You will only get waste gate chatter wit external waste gates fitted with screamer pipe i.e dumping the waste gate control gasses and flames into atmosphere and not back into exhaust.

My advice
Get a good recomended induction filter like roger clarke motorsport :thumbsup:.. but you moght have to get remapped.. not sure.. again ask Renno. he should know
I think the blitz dumpvalve is supposed to sound a bit like the sound you wnt, be expensive do.. but that pipe you were on about will do nothing for ya

Hope that helps and is not to long for ya :thumbsup: sorry bout spelling :ponder:.. not my strongest point :subaru:

You're a good man KENC thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply
I'll try retract that link.
Dan

Just to let you know, I took my resonator box out of my car 2 days ago and drove it for first time today without it and can hear a small difference in induction sound and can now hear a slight sneeze from recirc valve when lift off throttle.. but thats on an sti that prob at about 1bar boost so you might not hear as much from recirc valve sneeze at a lower boost level.. you may just try it out. on impreza its only 2 size 10 nuts hold the resonator in place and the hassle of jacking driver side up and of taking some of your wing liner down WITHOUT BREAKING CLIPS :wall: Glad it helped yoy a bit as they are a lot of companys just taking peoples money for noyhing :angry:, after all theres a customer for everything

Thanks again KENC
My cars in Running 1.3 bar and she's 2.5L so hopefully It will make a difference
Dan

Back