upgrade brakes

J

johnroake

hey all,

im looking to upgrade brakes.

i have a 1996 wrx import, but i found a pair of classic shape sti brakes at a scrap yard, would they be an upgrade or are they the same brakes as wat i have at the moment. can anyone advise, or if i should get new ones, wat kind and how much?

cheers

I had the original WRX brakes on my 96 Jap import wagon (2 pots I think). I have the upgraded 4 pot calipers (ones that say Subaru in white on them) on a different wagon now.

I found the 2 pots to be far better. I have heard this from other people in the past too, so it was not that the 4 pots are set up wrong.

I am upgrading to the 02-06 Impreza Brembo 4 pots now. Hopefully they should do the trick. Prob the best brake upgrade you can do for a classic. Front bolt straight on.

Those smaller Subaru 4 pots can be bought for around €200 to €300. Should get disks etc with higher price. There was a set for sale on here not so long ago. IMO you'd be better off looking around for a good deal on Brembo's.

well john best thing to do is talk to damo(renno555)
he'll advise you on whats best to do,
he's helping me out on an upgrade i'm getting done and he's very helpful :thumbsup:

hey all,

im looking to upgrade brakes.

i have a 1996 wrx import, but i found a pair of classic shape sti brakes at a scrap yard, would they be an upgrade or are they the same brakes as what i have at the moment. can anyone advise, or if i should get new ones, what kind and how much?

cheers

johnroake ,
THe brakes at the scrap yard if in good
condtion, would be fine say with upgraded pads and disc's.

Yogi is spot on, the Brembo brakes they are alot better but
prob cost you a little more

Niall.

You prob had sliding caliper ones and now have you got ones with Subaru wrote on them ? If so then there alot better then the early ones.

Back