Boost gauge

dossie01

Petrolheads
What's the difference between a mechanical boost gauge and a stepper motor boost gauge ( electrical). The stepper motor ones look tidier when installed to me. Any performance difference?

i tink the electrical is the future
but im not sur how day work is it off the ecu or still vac line and a digi display :dontknow:

It's off the vac line alright, that connects to a sender unit and then onto the gauge in the car via wires instead of running hose into the cabin

Mechanical gauges are prone to breaking. Eventually the coil inside gives up the ghost. Will be changing my own to an electrical stepper type at the weekend. :thumbsup:

Electric uses a boost sensor that comes with your gauge kit and vac pipe go's to the sensor or it connects to your ecu.

HKS and Defi now use elec, you will need to buy a link unit that harness into your ecu and you plug your gauge into the unit. The units come with a number of plug holes so you can fit more gauges.
http://hkseurope.com/electronics/meter.asp

Bought a swoosh stepper motor boost gauge off flea bay. All the budget would allow. Has the same dial swoosh as my leggy too so happy days. Illmbe away when it arrives so I'll need a bit of guidance as to which hose etc to tee into when I get back. All help will be appreciated

Dave :thumbsup:

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=26344.msg309420#msg309420 date=1283810911]
Bought a swoosh stepper motor boost gauge off flea bay. All the budget would allow. Has the same dial swoosh as my leggy too so happy days. Illmbe away when it arrives so I'll need a bit of guidance as to which hose etc to tee into when I get back
. All help will be appreciated

Dave :thumbsup:
[/quote]

can give u a hand Dave, did mine and Johns, send us a link to the one you got, i need a new one too as my mechanical one is knackered!

Same guy I bought my Swoosh gauges from. Excellent to deal with and very fast shipping.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=26344.msg309555#msg309555 date=1283883052]
Same guy I bought my Swoosh gauges from. Excellent to deal with and very fast shipping.
[/quote]

Did you have to splice into any wires from the ECU Andy?

No connecting to the ecu on the one I bought, basically same as connecting mechanical gauge except for no hose through to the gauge, place the stepper motor under the bonnet & run the cables into the car. Only wiring is to constant, ignition & ground

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=26344.msg309560#msg309560 date=1283883620]

Did you have to splice into any wires from the ECU Andy?
[/quote]

No need to go near ECU. They come with there own sensors.

ordered myself a new Autometer boost gauge and oil pressure sensor last night both electric sender units, should fit nicely into my center cubby spot

Just after fitting mine there. Connected all wires the same as the old one was connected but as soon as you turn the lights off it stalls and starts off again with the opening sequence as the lights are turned on. This never happened with the old gauge, it always worked whether the lights were on or not. :ponder2:

Already though you can see a difference in accuracy, its now sitting at -.4 were it used to only sit between -.1 and -.2. :thumbsup:

Back