Skyline powersteering keeps failing! Ideas please,

F

forester sti

As Above, with my R32 Gts-t Skyline
The Powersteering works grand for a few minutes, the just suddenly stops working,
Plenty of fluid in it!
This has been happeneing for ages now!
What you reckon??
Dan

Pumps on it's way out!!!!!!
The Nissan doctor (Paul) would be my first point of contact to get another 1

Yeah, I'd say defo the pump man,

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Not sure wher the resevoir is on skyline Dan, but if its away from the pump it may be same as problem i had with Supra before,
At the bottom of resevoir, there was a pipe coming out and feeding the pump, inside the resevoir there was a mesh filter, almost like a siv, they are prone to get coverover in gunk and restrict the fluid getting to pump, so you have no power steering at points or at all, and you get a noise like its empty or low on fluid as when its blocked its essentially the same as no or low fluid level..
Again maybe skyline is different but i think they are the same set up

If its same, take out fluid, and clean the mesh with screw driver rapped in cloth etc etc, the mesh could well be a false bottom in resevoir, so could be completly coverd, be carefull not to puncture it, if you do clean it, be good idea to give her fresh fluid aswell.
There maybe other ways to do it on the Skyline, on Supra it was above method or buy a new resevoir which most do, but im a cheap fooker :icon_grin:

I have a dodgy right sholder, from a car crash 6 years ago,
And you really have to man handle the skyline around the track, so I do need the power steering,
Do power steer systems need an oil cooler??
Thanx for the info lads,
I'll try clean it out and new fluid first, and I'll try source a new pump if needs be!
I'll let you's know how I get on,
Asd long as she's fit for the ISDC track day, I'm happy :dance:
I'm living for it now,
Dan

Dan

Just another suggestion!!!!

A friend of mine was having a similar issue, he later found out his altenator was not putting out enough power and the car was routing it away from the steering to more Vital components.....

Check the output!!

Any leak at all, oil under the car?

Is the PS belt tight, if all is ok as the lads said change the fluid.

If your stuck for a R32 pump, a R33 an be with a R33 bracket and its smaller and lighter :dance:

Something i was looking into trying to lighten the 32 GTR for drag racing

Back