Engine seems to loose power while accelerating

Milo

Sunday Drivers
Engine looses power/torque, gets a bit jerky and seems like it wanted to stall (stall might be an overstatement though) while accelerating say on 3rd gear between 2000 and 3000rpm (it is non-turbo EJ204 2.0X MY07). Fuel pump? Fuel filter? Dodgy fuel? MAF? ECU related thing? Everything else seems to be in right order- correct idle, correct temp and all that.

sounds kinda like the fuel pump to me or a blocked filter. i fixed a car with a simerla thing the other day it was the feul filter. doesnt mean thats what urs is but worth chrecking

If she's anywhere near due a service, that may help a lot!
Almost certainly something simply like that!
Best of luck man,
Dan

I've an rx also and mine seems to hold back every now and then when climbing from low revs. It doesn't sound as bad as yours but I put mine down to it needing a service soon. Going to do the spark plugs and fuel filter and see what happens.

My car is still under warranty I think so I'll have to get on to HB Dennis and see what they say about this (although I think C&R would be a better option), but I'm noticing the hold back more now since if become consious of it. :icon_grin:

My car has always done the same,
Regardless of her state of tune!
My =money is on the drive by wire throttle, Simon (JGM) reckons he can smooth it out in sept, I'll let you know how I get on!
Dan

[quote author=ericRX link=topic=25902.msg305277#msg305277 date=1282374123]
My car is still under warranty I think so I'll have to get on to HB Dennis and see what they say about this (although I think C&R would be a better option), but I'm noticing the hold back more now since if become consious of it. :icon_grin:

[/quote]

Got this info from Subaru "There is currently a software upgrade available for the newer 2.0 L engine fitted to
your vehicle and I would be confident that if your vehicle has been serviced by a main Subaru dealer
that this upgrade has been performed. If however the vehicle was not maintained in a Subaru dealership
your vehicle may not have the latest software installed."
Interesting, myself I never had any info about software upgrade on a service bill of works (only the usual how much oil they splashed in etc.) Have you had it done Eric? I am getting her seen this week so we will see what they say. Mind you I'm tempted to say that, at least a tentative solution to this problem would be getting a turbo motor:) then if turbo is not doing anymore getting an upgrade to a STI...and keep adding...

I like your thinking Milo!
Just so you know,
My 2.5 turbo forester has always had that hesitation thing in it, regardless weather she was 265bhp or 454bhp! I think it's the drive by wire!!
Simon thinks he can sort it, I'll let you know how he gets on!
Dan

Had the car seen by Subaru dealer. They scanned the ECU and put a "hesitation" and "cold start" remaps/updates. Car seemed better/nippier on the way home but strangly enough one needs to press the accelarator a bit more to start moving though. Will see how it looks next week at the pump:)

Let us know how it feels once you've gotten used to it,
Dan

[quote author=Milo link=topic=25902.msg305758#msg305758 date=1282577948]

Got this info from Subaru "There is currently a software upgrade available for the newer 2.0 L engine fitted to
your vehicle and I would be confident that if your vehicle has been serviced by a main Subaru dealer
that this upgrade has been performed. If however the vehicle was not maintained in a Subaru dealership
your vehicle may not have the latest software installed."
Interesting, myself I never had any info about software upgrade on a service bill of works (only the usual how much oil they splashed in etc.) Have you had it done Eric? I am getting her seen this week so we will see what they say. Mind you I'm tempted to say that, at least a tentative solution to this problem would be getting a turbo motor:) then if turbo is not doing anymore getting an upgrade to a STI...and keep adding...

[/quote]

What garage did you give it to to get the new software. Didn't get it to HB dennis and out of warrenty now.

I think it's something they'd do as part of a main dealer service, as opposed to a warrenty issue,

Do you think it's something thats worked into the car, to encouage lads to use main dealers for servicing,
Other manufacturers had special tools, or inaccesable engines and most have service indicators that need to be reset by the dealer,
But all of that can be overcome, but if your car needs a software update every service, thats a cunning way to get you back in,

Dan

That is most likely the theory and practice behind it Dan.
EricRx, I went to D&M Ryans in Cork and they seemed to know from first minute what I was talking about. It was done free of charge and no other work was carried out either. Car is definitely more spirited and climbs through the revs easier- it feels better like. Another thing to note is that it reaches the operating temperature a tad faster- say after 1.5miles as opposed to 2miles of gentle driving at current temperatures. The only anoying thing is that there is a kind of "dead play" on the accelerator after that.

Went to JJ Burke in Ballinrobe (about 25 miles away) today to get the software updated. They charged €68 to do it.

EDIT: my car is running fine now. Like it should. :)

it is practical to get the plugs done while having the major service with gear box oil change- most mechanics would take the wind pipe out for ease and then the acess is not too bad. the passanger side is less intricate- only the battery needs out. plugs are expensive at dealers but you would get 4 for less than 50€ online, say http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-NGK-IRIDI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53da605cba
i had them out last week with the idea to have them changed (people say that you should every other year but they are supposed to go for a 100k afterall) but they were said to look brand new (the car has just over 20k mind you) and was told that it would be a complete waste...
they probaly charge for 1 hour of labour which for main dealers is ~80€ plus parts and here you go...
oild change is 5l of oil at whatever it costs (the most expensive one motul 300V would be ~60€ but you can get cheaper and adequate semi synthetic in 10w 40) + ~10€ genuine for filter and sump washer
btw: "she took a remap" was the exact phrase i heard when collected the car

Thanks Milo for that. I was going to put in the long life plugs in my previous subaru but the motor factor reckoned they were expensive and the car would be better off with new ones at each service. I just took him at his word, i don't know any better. :ponder2: I didnt realise that they would do 100k though. That appeals to me a lot, i must admit.

Had a good drive in the car today and it seems to be smoother from 2.5 to 3 and slightly above. Still a bit of a donkey between 2 and 2.5 but not near as bad as it was. It's just a small bit lumpy but bearable. So maybe the update did help, I'll know better as time goes by. I suppose if we could get E5 in Galway it would help as well.......I'll have to send a letter to the north pole..... :icon_grin:

Back