trevor m

Petrolheads
firstly thanks to john(froggy)for the parts :thumbsup:
car horn is not working
the horn itself is working
the relay for the horn is working
been told its an earthing plate in the steering wheel thats worn :ponder2:
anyone any ideas of the proper name for this and where abouts it would be
was in contact with subaru ireland and they hadn't a clue what i was talking about

Is it the clock spring Trevor? I know when they go in the steering wheel you lose the horn. :dontknow:

What year is your car?

93 to 97 (V1 to V3) had a brass ring made on to the back of the steering wheel and a brass spring mounted pin touches off it. This connects earth when the button is pressed and turns on the horn relay (which is located behind/above the fuse box, its a small red 3 pin relay) from here it goes out under the drivers side wing and under the rad to the horns.

98 to 00 (V4 to V6) had a clock spring, because of the airbag and extra wiring needed, they used a plastic disc with a ribbon that has 5 wires in it. But its the same principle as above.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

yeah great help phil thanks mate :thumbsup:
anyone know if its an easy job to replace(i'm not mechanically minded)

No bother man,

Yours is an earlier classic isn't it?

The brass ring is fixed, I'd say your problem is with the spring mounted pin, Its easy enough job. steering wheel off and switches off to get at

[quote author=trevor m link=topic=25850.msg304022#msg304022 date=1282040564]
no phil,mines a 00 reg
[/quote]

Then its a clock spring problem, if its the switch that is.

Is your airbag light on?

I have the same problem. She had a steering wheel in her without an airbag and the horn didnt work then either and now with my original momo steering wheel it still doesn't work. The airbag light isn't on either. How will I test if the horn works?

P.S No smart arse comments with that question :dance:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Big Red: Does your car have a clock spring behind the steering wheel?

Looks like this:
attachment.php

I havent taken it off yet but if it does like that (its a 99) then what would be the problem? Do I just undo the allen key holes in the middle of the momo steering wheel and it will come off?

There is 1 star bolt on either side of the MOMO steering wheel, unscrew them (NOTE: They wont come out) Then pull the airbag unit off. You will see the clock spring and wiring then.

Yellow is airbag wiring NOTE: disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before unplugging any yellow connectors!!!!
Gren or black is the horn wiring connector.

If you have a multi-meter, set it to continuity and connect one probe to the wire on the horn connector and the other probe to the same coloured wire under the dash/steering column. If the wires is ok you will hear a buzzing noise.

The same can be done for all wires in the clock spring (including the airbag, once they are disconnected at both ends!) to rule out clock spring failure.

Its easy enough job. steering wheel off and switches off to get at :eek7: :shock2:

Go on Trevor you gonna have a go looks very complicated to me.Just drive with the windown down and roar out.Worked with the cows on the way to froggies in the snow :lol:

:smokin:

[quote author=trevor m link=topic=25850.msg304521#msg304521 date=1282166714]
no phil no airbag light on at all mate
[/quote]

Then I'd test the wiring between the horn switch and the relay as i said above and see if that the problem, normally if the clock spring fails the airbag side will fail too bringing on the light. So its possible that the clock spring isn't your fault :thumbsup:

If your at the charity event i'll have a look for ya man :thumbsup:

[quote author=CARLO link=topic=25850.msg304674#msg304674 date=1282220416]
More karma for Phil

:smokin:
[/quote]

Wasn't the plan.................... but if you insist :lol:

Back