subaru problem again not charging could it be the clocks?

stanley

Sunday Drivers
are all subarus like this as soon as i fix one thing another goes wrong.
shes not charging properly. i had her ticking over at work for about 20 min then she started sounding funny so i jumped in to see abs light and engine light on i turn her off and she wont start again.flat battery
so i jump it and check the volts 12.2 so i know its not charging
i drive home it drives perfect
i had another alt in the shed so i thought her on then check again still not charging the voltage just dropping when she got to 8v she started the noise again like a miss then brings up all the lights i turn her off now shes flat again. any one know whats going on?
i have put a engine/ clocks/ speedo cable/ wheel nuts/ arb links / oil and filter/ air filter/ turbo/ vacume pipes and clutch slave cylender what more can this car want.
she's a 95 wrx please any ideas cause im ment to be driving this thing to england on tuesday week and its not looking good right now

Re: subaru problem again

It does suggest faulty alternator or battery or the connection between the 2

bit odd that both alternators are the same tho and if it was the batt it would still have 14v at it. thiss car will make me go mental i have only had it 1 and a half months

[quote author=stanley link=topic=25841.msg303863#msg303863 date=1281983203]
bit odd that both alternators are the same tho and if it was the batt it would still have 14v at it. thiss car will make me go mental i have only had it 1 and a half months
[/quote]

I know what ya mean man. Test the battery terminal on the alternator, with the negative probe on the negative of the battery and the positive on the alternator you should get the same voltage as if both probs where on the battery, It will show voltage drop if there is a problem with the cable from the alternator to the battery :thumbsup:

all wires checked. battery checked. i stripped both alternators down a rebuilt one with the best looking bits from the two still no joy
im going to try a new one from the frog if that dosnt work i dont know what ill do.
this car is driving me mental :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

Did the battery warning light ever come on on the dash?

no still dosnt. its a mystery i only checked cause the batt was flat when i went to start it.
i hope this alternator is the job :pray:

Check fuse number 15 I think it is, That's to do with the alternator and dash light :thumbsup:

right i have checked the fuse's inside the car all good the ones under the bonnet are a very small bit corroded but seem ok. the fuses are in jap so i cant tell which is the alternator and light. when i turn the ignition no battery light comes on but i have recently changed the clocks could this be the problem. i dont think its likley but im out of ideas till the new alt arives

Have you tried putting in a good battery,borrow one from another car even for a few hours.

Try the car, then leave it and try and start it again later.

I'd check to make sure all the bulbs are working in the dash, never know when one could

light up!

Its possible you have a drain somewhere also. Hope you can get it sorted.

[quote author=stanley link=topic=25841.msg304127#msg304127 date=1282073031]
right i have checked the fuse's inside the car all good the ones under the bonnet are a very small bit corroded but seem ok. the fuses are in jap so i cant tell which is the alternator and light. when i turn the ignition no battery light comes on but i have recently changed the clocks could this be the problem. i dont think its likley but im out of ideas till the new alt arives
[/quote]

If the battery light doesn't come on when you turn on the ignition then the bulb is most likely broken or not there. You will have to remove the clocks and check. If you shine a light through from the back or hold the clocks up to a light you'll see which one is for battery :thumbsup:

so it couldnt be the light not comming on thats effecting the charge. i knew that would be a long shot any way. the alternator has to be the problem i guess if its not charging the only thing it could be is the alternator. i will soon see and let u know

[quote author=stanley link=topic=25841.msg304171#msg304171 date=1282078263]
so it couldnt be the light not comming on thats effecting the charge. i knew that would be a long shot any way. the alternator has to be the problem i guess if its not charging the only thing it could be is the alternator. i will soon see and let u know
[/quote]

Yeah the warning light has no bearing on the charging, I'd put my money on alternator :thumbsup:

just to let u know it was the alternators both of them must of been broken thanks to froggy23 shes motoring again. and thank u to all who have helped me with my problem. im now happy again :multijump:

Back