Stuck Retainer Pins-Sorted! Now for Problem 2!!

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Fitting the Brembo's to my Legacy at the minute (its only taken about a year!! :lol:) but the retainer pins are stuck and can't budge them to get the pads out and bolted onto the hubs! Have tried everything i can think of to try and move them! Its been going too easy since i started taking the old calipers off so i was expecting something to hold me up sooner or later! Anyone got any suggestions to help get them out!! :thumbsup:

Have sorted this first problem out but now i've realised the threads on 1 of the calipers is stripped. Anyone know how to sort it or were i could send the calipers to have it done? Would a heli-coil kit be any use for it?

Re: Stuck Retainer Pins

Afaik the retaining bolts also have retaining clips, but you probably already know that,
try a narrow punch to tap them out :thumbsup:

Re: Stuck Retainer Pins

I've soaked them in wd40, tried a hammer and punch and some long nose pliers! Nothing seems to be helping at all! :thumbsup:

Have sorted this first problem out but now i've realised the threads on 1 of the calipers is stripped. Anyone know how to sort it or were i could send the calipers to have it done? Would a heli-coil kit be any use for it?

Hello Mark,

You could try to have it re-tapped or heli-coiled :thumbsup:

We have to use heli-coils on the sumps of transmissions some times. This is when our customers over-tighten the bolts and strip the threads :doh:

The sumps we heli-coil are aluminum and the heli-coils, we find work very well for this application :thumbsup:

So nothing new for a few of our lads :thumbsup:

I know you are a bit away from me, but if you can pop down to where I work I will get one of the lads to sort it out for you (FOC) :thumbsup:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

[quote author=Michael Spec C link=topic=25792.msg303505#msg303505 date=1281805592]
Hello Mark,

You could try to have it re-tapped or heli-coiled :thumbsup:

We have to use heli-coils on the sumps of transmissions some times. This is when our customers over-tighten the bolts and strip the threads :doh:

The sumps we heli-coil are aluminum and the heli-coils, we find work very well for this application :thumbsup:

So nothing new for a few of our lads :thumbsup:

I know you are a bit away from me, but if you can pop down to where I work I will get one of the lads to sort it out for you (FOC) :thumbsup:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

[/quote]

Hi Michael,

The earliest i'd be available would be Wednesday but If it would get me sorted in time for the Punchestown event then i would not mind having to travel.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Back