If i was to..........

Hammie

Octane Boostaholics
Lads

If i was to go and buy a new age 2.5 sti engine
would i need to get the ecu from the same model?

Forgive me if im wrong but i dont think my ecu would be any use with that engine?

I mean it cant be ecutec'd or anything so therefore not remappable!!!
just looking into my options at the moment and without getting an aftermarket ecu i dont see how i would be able to get the 2.5 running smoothly or properly!
I dont want to go out and buy an engine now and fit it etc
then find that without the ecu etc it wont work!!!

Defo not!
Can you covert to s V5 or V6 Ecu that has been ecutek'd already, (so lisence is already paid)
She's run grand then, I imagen a good bit of rewiring needed though!
Or else, just splash out on an aftermarket ecu as part of the build prosess!
Best of luck either way man!
Dan

I recon that would be nothing short of a mammoth task, your looking at getting the complete 2.5 engine, and the wiring loom and ecu, and then trying to splice your wiring loom and the 2.5 engine loom... :wall:
Forget about it mate :doh:, it would cost a fortune, dont even know who would take it on.

Get the engine, stick your heads on it, slap it in and buy a 2nd hand apexi fc for 300 odd gbp :thumbsup:

Oh and even if your ecu could be ecutekd, it wouldnt be able to run an engine with AVCS

Ah i know where your comin from Ken....
I have so many idea's of things to do and where i want to go with the car i just not sure which way i want to go......
Either way, its going to be a long drawn out process!!!!!!

You could buy complete engine, sell the heads off it which will get you few quid, pick up a set of Sti heads to suit your version classic, have it all bolted together on the ground ready to just be dropped in, but you will still need an aftermarket ecu..
They key to keeping it simple is by using either your own heads or heads that will take your inlet manifold which in turn will just plug into your original wiring loom plugs

As above,
Power Fc's are cheap enough,
Standard sti 2.5 makes for a very nice torquey road car!
If you can get the AVCS working, it is supposed to make a good bit of difference!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25671.msg302295#msg302295 date=1281391556]
As above,
Power Fc's are cheap enough,
Standard sti 2.5 makes for a very nice torquey road car!
If you can get the AVCS working, it is supposed to make a good bit of difference!
Dan
[/quote]

To get the AVCS to work , he is looking at doing the the full transplant using the 2.5 wiring loom, ecu and a load of loom work.
People do fit avcs heads into non avcs cars, but again this needs wiring work and an ecu like Syvecs etc etc
Most common transplant done is the one where you use your own heads, its most common because its the easiest and cheapest.
bare in mind that a brand new 2.5 short motor in a box from Subaru is around 2k
I have though about your situation and i cant see any benefit or reason to go to the hassle of doing the full 2.5,loom,ecu transplant.

The Sti heads would be a nice touch on the 2.5 over your own heads, and will allow engine to be assembled and not effect the use of your car, engine will be complete on ground ready for a straight forward drop in.
So your car shouldnt be off the road anymore than 2 days really

Cheers Ken

As I said its a long term project (keeps gettin put further and further back due to other priorities at present)
If I decide to go down the 2.5 route Ill be throwing in a 6 speed gear box aswell with a fairly long 6th gear for motorway cruising.

I love these kind of threads, people are able to get all the information they want without having to go searching and trawling through months and months of posts looking for small extracts that may or may not give them any help
Also it means people like me get the benefit of more experienced opinions and options, and get warned off someone elses mistake.....

Neil

Just be carefull when taking advice off guys :naughty:, some havent a clue what they are on about but yet feel the need to answer every question that is posted :geek: :icon_rolleyes:.
I very nearly got caught out by this when i did my 6spd conversion, the wrong answer almost cost me 400 euro :wall:. :angry1:
No answer is better than a wrong one
Always better to get few answers, and from few different forums.

The 2.5 conversion is the most popular and most done, so you wont have any problems finding info on it

If you set on a 6spd aswell, you prob be best to try get engine and box from the one source, that way you have best chance of getting a good deal

Ah yea... I know where your comin from totally!!!!

I have a tuner / builder in mind who i wouldnt mind doin most of the work on the car, but to be honest I'll be talkin to 3 or 4 different professionals(tuners/builders) to get their opinion on the idea's

Whilst i respect everyones opinion on here........ and everyones experiences are a great guide
this is a forum for enthusiasts and not a forum full of experts (im not tryin to offend anyone btw)
I mean If i want a house designed, Ill talk to a builder, But ill then go and talk to the architect....
hope that makes sense

Totally agree with Ken's points.

I'm running an EJ257 with V1/V2 heads and an apexi power fc. I think trying to trnasplant a newage long block with AVCS is a serious undertaking and I wouldn't even try it on my own car. Easiest solution is sti heads from a V1 to V4 (preferably V3 or V4 as they are more agressive) on a 2.5 short block and aftermarket ecu :thumbsup:

Whats the best 6 speed box to match with that setup?
Thinkin 6 speed cause 1-5 can be used for normal driving and 6th on motorways or longer journeys........
(price dependant as diffs etc would need swapped out too i think....)

No need to go 6 speed just for that reason man, a UK 5 speed box will do 160MPH

you are over 1000 rpm lower at 120KMH with a UK box then a jap one. It really makes a difference on juice :thumbsup:

Uk 5 speed wont be any dood if he goes up in power do.
6spd will be expensive as you will i think have to change your hubs and shafts to Type R or new age Sti ones

[quote author=KENC link=topic=25671.msg302751#msg302751 date=1281542934]
Uk 5 speed wont be any dood if he goes up in power do.
6spd will be expensive as you will i think have to change your hubs and shafts to Type R or new age Sti ones
[/quote]

True, but the 5 speed UK should deal with at least 300 or 350 Bhp shouldn't it?

The early 6 speeds give front diff trouble though because of the open diff (only know becaue of sweetcakes trouble), so it'd mean buying a later model 6 speed, the best one being the dccd one, again though more money fitting an aftermarket diff control kit. and as you said changing Box and Diff, prop?, shafts, hubs, brakes, starter?, flywheel?, clutch.

If he is going to go 2.5 he probablly will be hitting the 350ftlbs fairly easy.

A jap 6spd will have short ratios aswell, think the Forester like Dans is ment to be the best geared 6spd, and the one i have is next in line, which is 2007/2008 Uk STI.

They only real way to do the transplant is to get everything from the one car.
Gearbox, all linkages, shifter, gearbox carrier. prop and rear diff, fly wheel, starter,
It is possible to use 5spd clutch, but why when you can use the stronger 6spd one.
If a dccd box is got that can be solved with likes of DCCD PRO, Which are really handy piece of gear, simple and basic one isnt too expensive.

The 6spd uses the fatter front and rear drives, i hadnt this problem as i had them all ready since my car is a Type R.. but if you dont have them, then you will have to, and they wont fit your hubs then, so you may try pick up Type R or Newage.. but i am a bit iffy about Newage as i thought the were a wider track so drives might be bit longer

As far as I know,
The Jomo scooby runs 2.35 with a GT30, on a standard Type R box,
Now they defo have had some issues,
But maybe worth while giving the 5 speed a chance, before going down the 6 speed conversion route!
JP had an RA gearbox with a UK 5th, Worth while giving him a shout to see if he had any issues!
Dan

Back