BE5 Engine issues

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi all,

Since the weekend the leggy has been acting really strange...
When driving without boost (-0.4 ish on gauge) if I keep the accelerator at a constant speed (any gear) the car begins to splutter.
It feels as if the engine is cutting out.
As soon as I give her more gas then nothing happens, and then all of a sudden she jumps as if nothing is wrong.

Now, I've done some test runs today, and seems that the primary turbo is boosting fine.
But secondary only boost around max 0.7.

I have done a full ECU reset, but the problem still persists.
I've also tried doing a diagnostic check, but the black plug has no effect on any dash lights at all.
I couldn't get the check light to come on at all. Also tried connecting the Green and Black plugs, the fans and relays were making music, but still no Check Light.

So many problems starting to happen...Doing my head in.
What could the problem be?

Jaak,
id be goin back to the dealer with it, not sure what comback you have with him, but its seems u have been having nothing but problems with it since you got it. Have you gone that route?

If you reset the ecu before checking for codes, then it would have wiped the code from memory..

Does the car idle ok? Or does the problem only occur once you go into the secondary?

@Dossie: I tried going back to the man, but under sales agreement it only has warranty on the gearbox. I regret buying from that guy...

@Sweetcakes:
I did a reset two days ago, since then I covered about 70kms. And it happened a couple of times.
I ran the diagnostic just now, but I think the Engine Check light might be broken.

With idling, the revs, drop really low, almost wants to die, then shoots back up to 2000rpm. When cold.
The the revs are not stable and not constant at idling.

If you turn on your ignition without starting the car your engine check light will light up and go off, that way you will know if some sneak has taken out the bulb!

Its either your MAF sensor or lambda sensor i'd say... I would imagine MAF... I'll be around tonight if you want to throw my maf in there to rule it in or out :thumbsup:

Doubt its the lamda, mine is gone at the moment (currently getting sorted!) and car is behaving 99% as it should, no noticable difference to drive and certainly nothin like symptoms above, leaves the MAF as main suspect.

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=25657.msg302056#msg302056 date=1281352820]
If you turn on your ignition without starting the car your engine check light will light up and go off, that way you will know if some sneak has taken out the bulb!
[/quote]

Doesn't come on at all. Only the Oil and Steering Light.
Is it difficult to replace that bulb?

[quote author=Sweetcakes]I'll be around tonight if you want to throw my maf in there to rule it in or out thumb[/quote]

I would really appreciate that! Unfortunately I'm working late shift this week. 3pm-10pm.
What time are you free at? Thanks

Never did it myself, but do a search on here prob been covered a couple of times, then get the bulb needed, clocks out, replace the bulb and do the self diagnostic with the plugs under the dash, failing that a diagnostic machine will read the fault codes without the bulb!
Main dealer or traders on here will do diagnostic, think around the €50 mark,
Engine check light bulb will have to be replaced eventually for your own piece of mind though.

Surly you have some sort of comeback with the stealer if there was no bulb in the CEL?? If thats the case you didn't know what you were buying. I'd go back to him and dump the car in his forecourt. Either he fixes it or gives you cash back.

Were you aware that warranty only covered the gearbox? If so that was nieve on your part. I don't understand what kind of a warranty only covers a gearbox! I've known warranties to cover everything apart from clutch (and possibly gearbox) however never heard of this type??

Name and shame the cnut

If the bulb is indeed missing or broken, then you will have to remove the clocks to replace yourself... Not done it myself but straight forward enough... Gimme a shout on 0879327189, should also have a bulb there for the check engine you can have :thumbsup:

[quote author=AlanMcB4 link=topic=25657.msg302102#msg302102 date=1281357199]
Surly you have some sort of comeback with the stealer if there was no bulb in the CEL?? If thats the case you didn't know what you were buying. I'd go back to him and dump the car in his forecourt. Either he fixes it or gives you cash back.

Were you aware that warranty only covered the gearbox? If so that was nieve on your part. I don't understand what kind of a warranty only covers a gearbox! I've known warranties to cover everything apart from clutch (and possibly gearbox) however never heard of this type??

Name and shame the cnut
[/quote]

He said that he can't give any warranty on turbo jap engines, because of the way people tend to drive them...
I traded in my old car for this one, so i don't know how I can win this one, as I had problems with the cat.converter before and he didnt want to do sh*t about it.

I'll try to replace that bulb and do a diagnostics. If I cant I'll take it to one of our traders who an help out, if all else fails.
Thanks again.

Most of these jap import dealers (if that who it was bought from) only offer warranties on gearboxes. I was told that is all they have to offer by law when I bought my old Legacy because I asked why only gearbox was covered.

As mentioned above sounds like a MAF problem to me.

Unless you bought it at trade prices, then you have a 3 month warranty... Bollox to him and his gearbox warranty... They'll do anything to stop you coming back or putting you off... Its a sensor fault anyway so nothing major but a new maf is about €145 from subaru... You can probably get a second hand one from Froggy for a fraction of that price second hand but you are taking a chance second hand but price should reflect that.. V5/6 impreza uses the same maf.. its 2mins to swap over..

Thanks for the help Sweetcakes! Does the little round guage have a effect at all?
Mine had a little kink in it... Very small about 1mm in diameter.

See this image:

MAF.jpg

The round thin metal screen, mine has a slight kink or dent in it.
Does that screen have any effect on the sensor, or is it only a filter for dirt?

do the BE5 legacys have OBD2 port under the steering wheel? I have the cable that can connect that up to me laptop and you can check and error codes stored in ecu, if ur bulb is broken but its still throwing codes. it might help :ponder:

Back