100w bulbs if OEM is 55w

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi guys,
I just got 100w front spot/fog lights for my B4.
I noticed that the OEM bulbs are 55w.
Would it cause any issues to use the 100w bulbs, or would it be safe to use them without any modifications being made?
Thanks,

[quote author=Aaron link=topic=25525.msg300780#msg300780 date=1280925549]
thats very bright for spots .. no?
[/quote]
only to be used in poor weather conditions. Just afraid of frying something...

I have heard that the likes of 100w headlamp bulbs melt the bulb holders,
but not sure about spots as they would be a smaller bulb :dontknow: :thumbsup:

That's what im affraid off, melting those holders. But it was the only yellow bulb I could find for a decent price. :icon_rolleyes:

Pretty sure the wiring wouldn't be strong enough either & should also have a seperate relay.

My advice would be to take them out :thumbsup:

They can melt the spot light assembly and they will cause damage to the wiring and switches.
As an autoelec i've come across this problem and its costly to fix all the damaged wiring etc.

If you want brighter then go HID, which use less current but are brighter :thumbsup:

Fitting 100w bulbs was something a few lads tried to improve the pi55 poor light from the Impreza classics headlights but they melted the wiring and light assembly as the 100w bulbs run far too hot for the substandard insulation on the oem wiring lom. Better to fit some of the high output H4 bulbs such as Philips Extreme + 100. This helps but the real problem is the design of the light refelctor so no matter how bright the bulb this will limit the amount of light actually focused to the road ahead. HID bulbs only dazzle oncoming drivers unless you go the whole hog and get proper headlight units which properly focus the light but most after-market systems tested by auto express magazine failed the MOT in the UK despite the claims on the side of the box. Bets bang for your buck then would be the high output H4 bulbs.

Frawls

[quote author=Jaak link=topic=25525.msg300825#msg300825 date=1280930308]
But it was the only yellow bulb I could find for a decent price. :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yellow bulb. Thought they were illegal here? Only white light permitted on front of car?

you would draw ~x2 the current- might blow the fuse at best. i wouldn't expect to see wires melting and car going in flames but in the same time would not want to check it the practical way either:) check what the fuse is rated at.
are these "spot" or "fog" lights?

Back