Rear brake lights dont come on with lights

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi guys,
At the recent Dublin meet Sweetcakes pointed out that my rear brake lights do not come on if the lights are on.
Only the two rear small side lights come on.
Sweetcakes told me to check the wiring on the boot lid if its broken, but it all looks good to me. Can anybody help me fix this?
[size=6pt]
*the lights function when the brake is depressed[/size]
Thanks,

Did you follow the wiring all the way to the block connector? The block connector may be hidden behind the side panel in the boot.. What generally happens is that where each wire is attached to a 1.8mm connector tab (that is pushed inside the block connector), the wire core fatigues and breaks at the join from the constant opening and closing of the boot... This is where you should find the problem...

Failing that, maybe both of the double filament bulbs are fooked but the above has happened to me a couple of times... Also your reverse lights aren't working either, just saw when you pulled out to go home :thumbsup: .. My money is still on the block connector

Thanks!
So its the connectors, not the wiring which breaks. I'll have a look at home.
For the reverse lights...
It goes on sometimes, everyone says its the switch on the gearbox. Maybe its loose, I'll need to get under the car and try to fix it.
Cheers:)

Ye, all they way to the block connector... The wiring itself is generally fine :thumbsup: .. Its happened to me a couple of times now, different wire each time.. Need to find a source to get new 1.8mm tabs to do a proper job on it..

You may get lucky on the reverse lights too as mine were intermittent before as well because even though the wire had broken off from the tab, the lights would come on every so often because the tip of the wire would touch with a slight bit of movement.. Gimme a shout if you have any problems with it :thumbsup:

Cheers :icon_jook:

It's strange because the reverse beeping comes on only halfway when in gear, and sometimes work fully...

My celica used to do that but cos of the 6 speed box reverse was right beside 1st so it came in handy cos the first few weeks i had the car i accidently put it in reverse instead of 1st

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=25520.msg300782#msg300782 date=1280925812]
It beeps in reverse?
[/quote]

That's how I know when the reverse lights are only working sometimes. Beep Beep Beep.
It had an Auto box before. What I was thinking that the switch is where the auto reverse position was. Thats why it only goes on sometimes.
But I got it working perfectly sometimes. Does my head in!

Oh so many jokes about leggys being like trucks with their reversing beepers...must resist :lol:

[quote author=Jaak link=topic=25520.msg300824#msg300824 date=1280930225]
[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=25520.msg300782#msg300782 date=1280925812]
It beeps in reverse?
[/quote]

That's how I know when the reverse lights are only working sometimes. Beep Beep Beep.
It had an Auto box before. What I was thinking that the switch is where the auto reverse position was. Thats why it only goes on sometimes.
But I got it working perfectly sometimes. Does my head in!
[/quote]

First I've heard of that, do all auto's beep? Please tell me its only a little beep inside the cabin? Have you changed from an auto box to a manual?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=25520.msg300826#msg300826 date=1280930416]
Oh so many jokes about leggys being like trucks with their reversing beepers...must resist :lol:
[/quote]

I knew it was coming but i had to ask.. :doh: :lol:

Sweetcakes, it's just a cabin beep. Luckliy.
I see it has an autobox dash clocks (PRND123), but it has manual now. I guess the previous owner changed it, auto must have been too boring :lol:

I didnt have any time yesterday to check it out.
I went for a nice run through the port tunnel though. Very nice sound! it's what i'd call "Ear Sex" :lol:

Back