Will be lookin for a part from breaker - tech advice.

Tombusa

Sunday Drivers
Hi,

This is a bit dumb:

Between 2000 and 3000 rpm in 3rd, 4th or 5th, when the turbo is kicking in, the car sort of dies in initiating the turbo.

It dosn't splutter but its that kind of effect - a slight lunging or surging.

And it dosn't do it always - I have this tendancy to notice it on colder wetter windier mornings.

Brought it to the dealers and they replaced some sort of a sensor from a WRX - black thing that sort of measures airflow to the turbo ????

Would cost about 400 to replace from new.

Not keen on that, partly because although the car seemed perfect with the replacement, it's so variable : I'm not sure I want to invest that much and not be sure.

It's about 10 cm squre black in a casing with about four silver teeth (?3-4mm diametre) that are the sensors. Does anyone know what I is looking for?

thanks

tom

(Not an emergency - I can ask the dealers after the weekend . But I was thinking about going looking for it in the breakers)

(06 UK STi)

Kieth,

I don't see why have to wait a full four minutes at 2.30am on a bank holiday Sunday morning to get any sort of a meaningful reply when I put up a highly specific post basically asking:
what is the name of the yoke that sticks into the thingimybob that senses the stuff that goes in to the black thing.

Ye have to do some sort of a service audit to see what is causing these delays in getting meaningful answers or else ISDC is going to rank below NTL for online customer service this year....

;-) :)

:multijump:

Good work lads!
Does everyone agree with the Dealer diagnosis of the problem being the AFM??
I have no personal experiance of that, but I did have boost surge when I had the 20g fitted which made her surge then die then surge then die then start to pull smoothly! she occasionally hit the fuel cut on a cold morning!
Fitting a 3 port and tweek map fixed it, although the 3 port in the first place would have saved me having to shell out for a remap!
Dan

I don't think his car has had any engine changes Dan so I'd say its the MAF to.

Could it be something to do with the boost solinoid?
Dan

is the car running with the standard airbox ? or an oily aftermaket filter?

maf can be cleaned with elecrical cleaner as i have done a few times before, do not touch it with your fingers!!!

Back