2005 blob spec c (what re-map/ecu)

Grahamo spec c

ISDC Club Member
A mate of mine is looking to re-map his spec c.
he wants it re-mapped and to include anti-lag.

so whos the best over here?
or is it a trip to england to get it done right? also,roughly whats the cost of this to get done?

all advice will be passed on to him,so any thoughts,ideas and previous experience would be great. even ideas on exhaust systems,filters and dump valves in conjunction with re-maps would be great to give him an idea.

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

:subaru:

You know yourself Grahamo,
Full turbo back De-catted exhaust, See if Harvey Smith (UK) does ported headers and up-pipe for the twin scroll,
Good panel filter in the standard air box,
EcuTeck mapping would be grand for him, I believe Nick spec c had his spec c mapped by Pat Herbourn, Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle and most recently Simon (JGM), Defo worth having a chat with him! He is a very happy camper last I spoke with him!
As far as I know, you'd need an after market ECU to run antilag, I wouldn't bother at all with it, it would have to be very aggressive (header blowingly so) to actually do anything, and even at that, It wouldn't make her any faster! and she may not run as smooth on an after market ECU,
I think there may be a couple of larger used Twin scroll turbos for sale on here (Al HKS and Mick Spec c) well worth splashing out on!
Dan

thanks pete and dan for advice.

trying to stear him away from anti-lag........but he wants pops and bangs!!!

ill pass it onto him anyway.

so who is best for a map? and where can you go on a given day to get it done?

money is no object,so when he fits his go faster bits....he literally wants to pop in and get the map done. time waiting is no problem.

so is it north or is anybody coming from the uk soon??

Money no object??
MD321H-TS, 430bhp twin scroll turbo, the most I'd run with confidence on the spec c motor,
Probably spool better than standard aswell!
Give Nicky a shout regarding who's the best, I do know is is very happy with current setup!
I'm getting mapped on the 9th of September with JGM,
Dan

Hello Graham,

If I was to do a twin scroller again I'd go with the following:

Uprated injectors
Uprated Fuel Pump
Uprated twin scroll turbo (there is now a very wide selection available with the correct size exhaust housings)
De-Cat Exhaust
Induction
3 Port Boost Solenoid
You friend could go with with a remap or new ecu.

You can get "pops & bangs" on newage cars without running anti-lag so a remap on his standard ecu could suit :thumbsup:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael I'll pass it on to him.
Where would he get it mapped though over
Here?
Who's the best?

i think he should speak to Nick spec c as his car has been mapped by several of the leading subaru mappers ,

Haven actually driven Nicks car all i can say is if your mate wants a car thats still driveable but goes like nothing ive ever driven before when wanted a setup like his is ideal , the responsiveness of the trottle is unreal and the noise it makes are big bonus points 2

As the lads have said there are a few places.

STi tunning and Jolly green monster are two of the main mappers at the moment.

Sti tuning bring in a lad from England every couple of months and they've done a lot of cars in the club and they've been very happy.

Jolly green monster (JGM) is from England and comes over himself every couple of months and has had very good results.

Heres a link to the mapping dates for both companies.

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=25227.0

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=25012.0

Ask the lads any question you'd have and they'll point you in the right direction.

Nicky would give him the best advice as to who to map it..

Been a passenger in Nicky's car a few times and finally got to have a blast in it recently (thanks Nick :dance: ) and it is just incredible to go, but still quite easily driveable a low speeds too :thumbsup:

You should drop Simon, Jolly green Monster a pm or email, and ask him to come up with a tried and tested spec for you and will give the best gain per euro.
I wouldnt bother myself changing the exhaust manifold, i would probably do exhaust, panel filter, fuel pump, bigger injectors if i was going for a bigger turbo.
On the exhaust side maybe look into a high flow cat so it can be left in fo Nct. Think they are only ment to be down 2% on decat.

The type of anti lag that we are used to on road cars doesnt have any performance gain just sound, most mappers can map a standard ecu to do some shots and bangs on the over run.
If he wants it on a switch than aftermarket ecu, lots out there, simtec, solaris, syvecs etc etc... some maybe over kill for your mate, depends on what he wants.

On the performance note, if he stuck with his own turbo and mapped with exhaust etc etc, he will increase his maximum gain if he uses a 10% methanol mix in fuel.. est be around 20 to 30bhp. so if his set up was maxd at 330bhp, he could well see 350 to 360bhp.. and the added safety feature of using methanol which is a great heat killer.
I would drop Simon a message, he is very good for responding

Would you not port the standard headers Ken??
It is supposed to make a big difference upto the 400 mark!, after that you'd be wanting tubular!
Dan

I enquired about that before Dan and was advised that it would be a waste of money as the spec c headers are very good as is.

I thought as much!
But defo worth doing on the unequal length ones!!
Andy Forrest is running ported unequals on his spec c with a MD321T, he recons he's down maybe 15bhp on the top end, but has better bottom end a responce compared to GT spec tubular headers
Dan

I see you are booked for another tweek with Simon, What are you up to??

Dan, ive heard lads saying that standard unequals are grand for up close to 500, you mite get some small gain from modding or changing them, but nothing substantial.
I was actually thinking of selling my Gt specs and going back standard, fed up of the crap looking heat wrap, fire hazard, having to move loom etc etc, starts to get a bit track car ish...
For the likes of the Spec C. i would try to keep her as standard as possible, i know i have referred to Tom' Rb320 a few times, but to me it really is the best simple mods car, i know its a 2.5 to start with, but it just has exhaust, adj press reg, tdo6 turbo, that standard heat shield can fit over, and she running around 400 of each.
The pressure reg is black, and is fitted discretly, not in your face, you have to look for it, piping is either kept standard or hidden.. to lift the bonnet, you wouldnt know anything is done to car, its still close to standard set up.
Thats what i would aim for with the spec C, Good power but done wisely with the right mods, no silly over spending on things that are not needed.

the light weight, high revs and twin scroll make up for the lack of a 2.5 nicely
And I'd generally agree about keeping it looking factory if possible!
I did a lot of research when my GT spec headers split last time, and what I read was that ported standard unequal headers made for an earlier spool up, less lag and slightly more out power the whole way across the rev range! there is no down side!
They are the best option for upto 400bhp,
After that, according to Harvey smith, they would be a restricting factor in terms of high flow for a bigger turbo (435bhp on a 321T which is 15bhp down compared to Tubuler! but they do get the earlier spool and responce,
Dan

Back