Gearbox Removal Probem

ruaidhri555

Middle Lane Hogs
Alright guys, have been taking out the gearbox in my impreza and i've come into a bit of bother. I have the starter off, the driveshafts off, propeller shaft off, gear lever disconnected from chassis, bell house bolts (4 i presume) off, clutch fork shaft out and looks like all the connections off. Problem is i have the gearbox separate from the engine, have a gap of about 30 mm but she still seems to becaught or wont release from somewhere. Any ideas?

did u lift the cluth fork off the the bearing cause if its caught it wont come off
i tried it with pry bars and every thing till some one told me that on here

Try that and let us know how you got on!
Best of luck with it!
Dan

When you say lifting the clutch fork off the bearing, which is the clutch fork? Cheers mate

Think i've identified the clutch fork. Its located near the top front of box. It's loose and i can move it around. I'm wondering if car is out of neutral would that have any bearing. Also it seems to be caught down near the bottom left side of box as you look at it from front of car

have another look to see if all the bolts are out if they are u might just need to give it some persuading

Cheers Gretts, pretty sure all bolts and that are out. Was just onto Dave (Blackscooby) and i think he's speered me in the right direction so i'll give it another go in the morning :thumbsup:

The clutch fork is sticking out of the top of box, through a square opening, if you have removed the shaft out of it, you need to lift it straight up towards bonnet to pull it out of the release bearing, it cant come out completely from box, but will come up far enough to clear the bearing..
There is more than 4 bolts!!!!!!!Also.. there is a nut on either side of bottom of the box,
be carefull not to seperate the box and engine unequaly.. i.e dont have an inch opening at top and it tight at bottom, or you will break casings.. there is also 2 dowels that sometime are left out, but if there there can be really tight

Yeah i have the clutch fork released from the bearing. What are the two nuts either side of the box for? Cheers

holding the gearbox to the engine mate :)

on each bottom corner there should be a nut, the engine block has holes around it to take the gearbox bolts, but on the bottom, rather than receive a bolt, it has a bolt sticking out of the block, if you can imagine a rod threaded at both ends, one end is threaded into block, you slide you gearbox up over the rod and fit the nut to other threaded end,

the nut is hard to get at when drives are on gear box, especially down pipe side...
Someone may have removed the rods and just used normal bolts either, dowels can be real fookers aswell
DSC00204.jpg

Theres a pic, i count 6 bolts and 2 nuts

Back