Turbo Help/Advice

STiBug

Sunday Drivers
Hi all, just lookin for a bit of advice on turbos.

Story is I have a vf30 turbo in da car but there is a crack in the exhaust housing. I have sourced 3 second hand vf30 turbos but on inspection each one of them has the same crack in the same place!

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with this model turbo? Also Im thinking of maybe going for a vf34 or vf35 turbo to avoid this problem again. Which would be the best option to go for and would the car need to be re-mapped if I went for one of the other turbos?!

If you change turbo to a different type , especially a bigger power unit, you would be best to get i mapped, this makes the job a bit more exensive. Maybe try have a look for someone who is upgrading there vf30, i didnt think exhaust housing cracks were a common problem, but im no expert

As Ken has said, if changing to a larger turbo: I would think it advisable to remap the car so as not to cause damage and to ensure full benefit of the bigger turbo is achieved.

Also you may wish to upgrade injectors etc so as not to have any single components running close to their limit ultimately putting undue pressure on these individual components.

Seemingly the VF 30/34/35 are all the same sized turbos. just different bearing designs!
So I'm thinking, unless getting spool 500rpm soon is a big problem, then I think you'd get away with out remapping!
Although, I would personally consider mapping her for some mods sooner rather than later, just incase!
And for a few more ponies!! :icon_headbang:

Dan

VF30
The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models.

VF34
The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF35
The VF35 has identical internals as the VF30 and it uses divided thrust bearings. However, the exhaust housing is a P15 which means this turbo will have fantastic spool characteristics. This turbo is standard on the new WRX Type RA. LIMITED SUPPLY.

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25133.msg297004#msg297004 date=1279499450]
Seemingly the VF 30/34/35 are all the same sized turbos. just different bearing designs!
So I'm thinking, unless getting spool 500rpm soon is a big problem, then I think you'd get away with out remapping!
Although, I would personally consider mapping her for some mods sooner rather than later, just incase!
And for a few more ponies!! :icon_headbang:

[/quote]

Well that is the problem? The VF35 uses a P15 housing where as vf30/34 uses P18 housing so yes will get it spooling earlier using VF35.

30/34 are give or take same size. 35 also prone to WG cracks..

Sorry to hear you still ain't sorted..

A TD0518G and a map sort your worries out..

Thanks for the advice lads, will have to consider all that. Sorry took so long to get back, had logging on problems.

Back