best induction kit?

RCM trumpet, think they use a K&N filter.. Apexi power induction kit (dry filter).. The RCM trumpet is huge in comparison to others available..

have the apexi myself , got at couture auto , trader on here . maybe giv him a buzz .

As mac mac said, I also have an Apexi induction kit myself, from Couture, savage job and looks great :thumbsup:

Steve.

Thought induction kits where a no-no mod on Impreza's (unless running big power) due to heat soak and actually effected the power in a negative way... also knackers MAF's with oil soaked ones...???? :ponder2:

[quote author=TerryNavan link=topic=25058.msg296355#msg296355 date=1279193917]
Heard rumours that adding an induction kit without getting it mapped can cause less power than more
[/quote]

You do need it mapped to get the best from it... It will cause fuelling issues without mapping afaik..

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=25058.msg296357#msg296357 date=1279194174]
Thought induction kits where a no-no mod on Impreza's (unless running big power) due to heat soak and actually effected the power in a negative way... also knackers MAF's with oil soaked ones...???? :ponder2:
[/quote]

Heat soak is an issue for all cars running induction kits.. Thats why people now run cold air feeds, put a sheet metal barrier down to prevent soak or get one of those extended kits that is piped out into the wing where it picks cold air from.. Its been way too long since you drove your car boss, you're losing touch old man.. :lol: :thumbsup:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=25058.msg296359#msg296359 date=1279194431]
Heard rumours that adding an induction kit without getting it mapped can cause less power than more
[/quote]

You do need it mapped to get the best from it... It will cause fuelling issues without mapping afaik..

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=25058.msg296357#msg296357 date=1279194174]
[/quote]

Heat soak is an issue for all cars running induction kits.. Thats why people now run cold air feeds, put a sheet metal barrier down to prevent soak or get one of those extended kits that is piped out into the wing where it picks cold air from.. Its been way too long since you drove your car boss, you're losing touch old man.. :lol: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yeah but how many peope actually go to the trouble of making up cold air boxes that are actually efficient.... you little ASBO youth!! :snooty:

Anyways... they do knacker your MAF though vibration from not being secured properly and by oil damaing and burning out wire element! :icon_rolleyes:

[/quote]

also heard this so i had car tweaked after installing. :dance:

as for heat soak , ive no heatshield/cold feed . must get finger out someday :hammerhead:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=25058.msg296366#msg296366 date=1279195551]
Yeah but how many peope actually go to the trouble of making up cold air boxes that are actually efficient.... you little ASBO youth!! :snooty:
[/quote]

I am making up a cold air box for mine, and it has a cold air feed already whic will be tidied up shortly...

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=25058.msg296366#msg296366 date=1279195551]
Anyways... they do knacker your MAF though vibration from not being secured properly and by oil damaing and burning out wire element! :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

That what simtek and sivecs are for :icon_grin:

The apexi is a dry filter and was running in my car for over a year without any issue.. Had it checked by JGM just before the car went off the road again..

You are right about the vibration though, it can case issues, but i think it may be when the plastic flexible tube is replaced by a hard pipe that it would send more shock directly to the maf.. Bob Rawle told me that you could also mount it off the engine rather than to the wing so that the vibration doesn't affect it and the filter just moves with the engine... All i know is mine is still fine and the induction kit will stay :icon_grin:

STI trumpet with K&N 57i cone is a great piece of kit. Sounds amazing too. No unshielded engine bay induction kit will match the standard air box for efficiency, as the OEM air box is fully enclosed and IS a cold air system. IMHO the trade off of a slight reduction in bhp in return for the great noise they make is more than worth it as its impossible to feel a drop of 4-5 bhp from behind the wheel. The added noise will actually give you the sensation that the car is faster anyway. MAF sensors are cheap now unlike the old days when they were v expensive so even if you had to change the maf every two years its still worth it.

Frawls

No induction kit is the best, unless you are using a fmic. Its been proven over and over both on N/A and turbos cars, that an induction kit that sucks air from inside the engine bay is shite, and probably loose power over standard airbox.
An uprated drop in panel filter in standard airbox is best when using standard tmic, but if you were to really want an induction kit, then an APS one is the best to go for, they mlunt the filter outside under the wing, some say that the filter is a bit small on them, but there is guys running 450bhp no problems with airflow.. they dont make them anymore for classic, if they did i would have one.

STI trumpet with K&N 57i cone is a great piece of kit. Sounds amazing too. No unshielded engine bay induction kit will match the standard air box for efficiency, as the OEM air box is fully enclosed and IS a cold air system. IMHO the trade off of a slight reduction in bhp in return for the great noise they make is more than worth it as its impossible to feel a drop of 4-5 bhp from behind the wheel. The added noise will actually give you the sensation that the car is faster anyway. MAF sensors are cheap now unlike the old days when they were v expensive so even if you had to change the maf every two years its still worth it.
alot of guys that work at Subarus blame bad induction kits for fooking up air flow meters and then your bigends????? So i wouldnt think that its a clear cut case of that it can be only a matter of changing a cheap airflow meter.
Universal filters are the problem, a Subaru specific filter wont have oil in it that will damage afm

If I can come up with a sealed airbox and had a decent airflow to it... I'd be keen to fit an induction kit!

I do love the noise but I'd never sacrifice the power for it!

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=25058.msg296473#msg296473 date=1279212948]
Drop in performance panel filter over an induction kit any day :thumbsup:
[/quote]

That's all i have on STi at the moment Andy... but I do like the idea of an induction kit in an airbox if it can help power, not affect by MAF or heat soak probs... and gives you some nice induction roar!!! :icon_headbang:

Get an induction kit and block it off from the rest of the engine bay... Run a cold air feed up through the wing then... You are good enough at metal fabrication now to do it easily... I intend to finish mine off once i get the car back.. I put it on the long finger because i had a temporary solution in place.. I'm using an apexi dry filter with no MAF issues in over a year of use... Oiled filters don't cause problems either, its only when people clean and re-oil them that they use too much oil which then damages the MAF.. This is true of the replacement panel filters also... K&N oiled filters are regarded as one of the best and they are oiled also..

I wouldn't mind making one in Carbon... :icon_biggrin: Gonna look into it once bodywork is done on project and I've some free time to spend on engine!

I reckon if i can make a prototype one and build a mould... I may know a crowd over in the UK who will reproduce them for you in Carbon!

K&N air filters do not cause maf failure. The picture below is RCM Gobstopper engine bay. No cold air feed kit. No engine/induction seperator metal housing etc, no big alloy rads etc...

And this car does handling course quite well as most of you know. Once car is moving air temps come back into acceptable level. No need for all above.

rcm.jpg

Back