Idea's to Cut the DB Levels

Aimzey

Sunday Drivers
OK so the car went in for the NCT and failed on numberous of stupid things!! which can easily be sorted
Now the exhaust tested @120 DB's

Anyone have a cheap n cheeful tip on how to re-duce this for the next trip back to the NCT centre

Turn the engine off. Cost you nothing. :icon_biggrin:

Only messing. If you have an after market exchaust system on it the cheapest thing to do is get a loan an original Subaru system and put it on just to get you by the test and then remove it and stick your one back on.

Loads of lads keep the original one for this reason. :subaru:

Anyone around waterford wanna give me a lend of one? Lol Ya car came with the one thats on it and ill be fecked if im gng off to buy one just to put on for the nct

Hello.All you probably need is the rear silencer or a bung.I have the original exhaust but it is a one piece for some reason and runs 8ft 2" in lenght so very hard to transport. :dontknow: I can give you the loan of a bung if that helps it's 11cm or 4.25 inch diameter.I am in Kinsale Cork,but if you are going to motorfest in Ratchormac this Sunday 11th July, i can give you bung there.Let me know. :thumbsup:

120dbs??? Thats extremely loud, make your ears bleed kinda loud like.. especially in a 1.5litre.. Is there a huge backbox on it?

I can't believe the exhaust is at 120DB, that's almost enough to cause permanent hearing damage.

More likely they didn't know how to use the equipment or it wasn't calibrated properly.

My car is 91dB at 4000rpm on part throttle,
thats with 3 silencers and no cats
Very loud non turbo :hammerhead:
Would the center section and back box off any scooby fit??
Dan

There are very few exhausts that I've heard make that kind of noise although I once heard a civic that ROARED at any kind of revving but it was a straight through system with a FILTHY backbox. I can't imagine your Subaru hitting 120DB it's just a bit too high of a DB rating tbh sounds like a badly calibrated machine or something as a previous poster said.

If ya heard this thing, its unreal the noise of it. Can sit in the car for less then 5 mins and the ears start ringing , Too loud ot be honest.

[quote author=gonzogicker link=topic=24939.msg295199#msg295199 date=1278706127]
Hello.All you probably need is the rear silencer or a bung.I have the original exhaust but it is a one piece for some reason and runs 8ft 2" in lenght so very hard to transport. :dontknow: I can give you the loan of a bung if that helps it's 11cm or 4.25 inch diameter.I am in Kinsale Cork,but if you are going to motorfest in Ratchormac this Sunday 11th July, i can give you bung there.Let me know. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Hey, Id greatly appreciate that. I wont be making it to the show sunday, heading to the hurling match but my mates will be at it .I can get them to meet ya if ya didnt mind
Im usually up and back from Bandon but ive something on the next 3 weekends I wont get down to get it .
And if they do then, I can drop it back down or post it down to ya when the nct is up again, which is the end of the month

Sound for that , cant pm back as Im not a full member! Ill pass the number on to him and e can pick it up! Im up and down to bandon most weekend,so Ill drop it back up straight after the NCT
Appreciate it

I'd put money on the majority of testers using this equipment incorrectly still. I went with my mate to have his car tested and the tester clipped the db reader to the exhaust which is incorrect and it failed, then he had a go at my mate for 'telling him how to do his job!' Just as well he'd printed out the page from the manual that stated the procedure. Amazingly the car passed then, although he had to get onto a manager before he even got it tested again.

quick and easy way to get it to pass ,
stuff a load of steel wool up the exhaust ...
can be gotten in bags from woodies for a fiver, and it kills sound like nothing else ,
also kills power in a big way too , as its restricting the airflow through the exhaust ....

BTW aimzey , is that your bus outside A+S imports

I doubt a bung will work. I had that fitted to my aftermarket catback exhaust and the nct tester got a reading of 119.9db :icon_rolleyes:. I had to put on the standard exhaust system.

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=24939.msg295282#msg295282 date=1278751394]
I doubt a bung will work. I had that fitted to my aftermarket catback exhaust and the nct tester got a reading of 119.9db :icon_rolleyes:. I had to put on the standard exhaust system.
[/quote]

Ideally a standard exhaust would be the best.but i have to say the bung does make a huge difference.off out now to record the difference to compare :thumbsup:
maybe the steel wool and bung would keep the testee happy :whistle:

I think its supposed to cut the noise by 5-6 db?? Thats why i fitted the bung to the exhaust i thought it would pass. The manufacture of the exhaust told me afterwards that with the bung in my exhaust is 105db so it wouldnt have passed anyway, but the reading they got was ridiculous.

It would be good to know how much it reduces the noise :thumbsup: It made a difference to mine but still failed. On another forum a 180sx and a silvia passed the test with aftermarket exhausts at some test centre in dublin.

some Testers still dont know how to use that equipment properly :icon_mad:

Back