Boost settings

RudeBoy

Petrolheads
Hi,

could anybody tell me, please, what's the standard setting for boost in 1998 STI Type R?
Is 1.25 safe for original engine?

Cheers

I think standard settings on STI is 0.9 to 1bar - should be safe enough running 1.25bar if remapped - Mine was remapped by Andy Forrest and runs 1.3 bar across 3rd/4th & 5th gear, although he left it boosting to 1bar only in 1st & 2nd for safety.

Hey RudeBoy,
Standard boost is 0.9bar
TypeR's have stronger internal's ie... piston's etc
than normall STI engine's. So ya up to 1.3bar is fine, i would suggest you have an
uprated fuel pump and possibly fuel regulator to match that boost (

Who re-mapped the car for ya or have you just bought ???

Niall.

Hmm... let's say I asked because to be honest I don't know what's the factory default. You know - no manuals (I guess there are some japanese for Type R , but of course I can't read them anyway, even if I have one :))
And I bought my car with boost controller installed, with two settings: 0.9 and 1.25 - and didn't know which one is correct.
Actually as far as I understand from HKS manual I can use controller in 'learn mode' - which might be good idea? or not?

Anyway according to the other thread about ethanol use to get more octanes - for two days I drive on a mix: 15litres bio-ethanol in the full tank of petrol. And to be honest, so far, so good... no problems.
It should give about 20% of ethanol in tank, and I expect it to take the fuel up to about 99 octanes? That's my kind of conclusion after reading many webpages, documents, analysis etc.
Actually they say that Impreza can use even 30% mix of ethanol and petrol without any conversions and problems.
But in longer term upgrade of fuel pump might be a good idea - and delivering a bit more fuel, as ethanol is a bit less caloric.

As far as I remember 100RON Shell V-Power also contains about 10% of ethanol - that's Shell receipt for making 100RON petrol (from 98RON?).
So if everything goes fine - maybe that's the way we could go with JDM cars and then think about higher boost?
The only problem is that there's not too many stations selling E85, hence it's still good to keep few bottles of Lucas and use it when necessary (to not ruin guys selling octane boosters :))

OK - that's what I believe , but it's better to see some graphs.
Where in Dublin, or area, could I check my Subaru on AWD dyno with all that stuff to check fuel mixture, AFR etc. to make sure it's fine and will not blow my engine, to check how many HP engine's making on that fuel?
What can be the price of that "measuring"?

Cheers

Back