First attempt at machine polishing

doggy

Apologies in advance for all the replies, I needed to split the images across different posts

The genesis of this detail is way back in December when I got a nice package from the lads in cleancar.ie, containing a DAS-6 and some Hex-Logic & Menzerna goodies.:D

As we all know, January wasn't a great month for detailing given the fact that the country's road salt supply was expended in a matter of days and lots of it ended up stuck to our wheelarches. We had justabout finished stockpiling milk, bread and teabags when the thaw came, pipes burst and our taps ran dry. Again, not very conducive to detailing.

So, when a free weekend came up, it seemed the perfect opportunity to give the WRX some TLC. Apologies in advance for the photos, they are from my phone but hopefully give a good account of the detail.

The before pictures show a car in good nick, but paintwork a bit lifeless. Also lots of dust and bugs from the recent good weather.
photo053.jpg

photo060.jpg

photo062.jpg

photo064.jpg

photo067.jpg

(Come on the hoops)

Friday evening 1
First up were the shuts. I regularly clean down the shuts so they were in reasonable condition, more dusty than anything else.
photo054.jpg

My method here was to use APC cut 20:1 applied with a sprayer.
photo055.jpg

Then agitated with a paintbrush.
photo056.jpg

Rather than rinse off, I wiped off the residue with a valeting cloth before using Meguiars NXT2 Quick Detailer to finish it off. Probably not ideal but I can't do that trick with the powerwasher where the residue is rinsed off - I tried it once and nearly saturated the interior.
photo057.jpg

Leaving the shuts looking like:
photo058.jpg

The other job I did on Friday evening was to spruce up the interior. I cheated here by detailing the interior the previous weekend. Steps are as follows:
Befores:
photo029a.jpg

photo030a.jpg

photo031a.jpg

Remove mats and beat the dust off them, followed by hoovering.
photo032a.jpg

Spray Autoglym Interior Shampoo on the mats
photo033a.jpg

Agitate the shampoo with a valeting cloth
photo034a.jpg

Small detailing brush used to clean the logo on the mats
photo035a.jpg

Before hoovering any further dirt liberated and apply striping.
photo036a.jpg

Saturday morning 1
My best laid plans went awry as it lashed rain all day. So I had to abandon until the following weekend...

Friday evening 2
The hot weather had meant a mass of flies and bugs were welded to the front of the car with paintwork, lights and windscreen affected.
photo069.jpg

So, it was a case of loading up a sprayer bottle with Autoglym Intensve Tar Remover, and spraying liberally to loosen up the bugs. As the sticker shows, local motor factors can be a helluva lot cheaper than Halfords with this stuff.
photo070.jpg

I also used a lambswool mitt and some hot water to soften them up, after which my wash bucket looked like
photo071.jpg

Next up was the wheels. These had been polished,detarred and waxed recently so it was a case of a mild wash to bring them back.

Some befores:
photo072.jpg

photo073.jpg

APC cut 40:1,applied with a spray bottle
photo078.jpg

Agitated with a Meguiars wheel brush
photo079.jpg

Followed by the Autoglym Hi-Tech wheel brush for the details
photo080.jpg

Wheel then rinsed and washed with Autoglym Bodywork & Shampoo Contitioner
photo081.jpg

Similar job on the mudflaps
photo073.jpg

APC
photo074.jpg

Tar remover at work
photo075.jpg

I had forgotten the fuel filler when doing the rest of the shuts
photo082.jpg

Same as the others, APC and agitate, before rinsing clean this time
photo083.jpg

Soaked the body with a mild solution of APC
photo084.jpg

Saturday afternoon 2
I was making loads more progress this weekend, and washed the car with Zymol AutoWash.

Then it rained.Again.:mad:
photo096.jpg

So, the machine polisher debut was deferred again.

Saturday morning 3 (Third time lucky)
Picked up where I left off with the Zymol Auto Wash...
photo085.jpg

..before claying with Sonus Green using Meguiars NXT Quik Detailer as a clay lubricant.

Surprisingly good in some areas..
photo087.jpg

...but as expected lower down the bodywork
photo086.jpg

The hot weather was evaporating the QD in seconds, leaving a few streaks.
photo088.jpg

photo089.jpg

Saturday afternoon 3
Washed once more, no pic this time as I was so anxious to get the machine polishing done. Finally, with the weather holding up it was time to crack out the DAS6. My experiences with the polishes and pads are detailed here: http://www.carcare.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=2616#post2616

The car was done once over with Menzerna P203s on a Hex-Logic Green Polishing Pad. This seemed to leave a little hologramming so I refined with a Black Finishing Pad and Menzerna P85RE5.

When using the finishing polish, each panel was wiped with a MF towel to clear residual dust from the P203s.
photo099.jpg

Then polish applied to the pad
photo100.jpg

and onto paintwork
photo101.jpg

Worked into the paint until it breaks down (the slight haze of the broken down polish should be just visible here)
photo102.jpg

Finally buffed off with a MF
photo103.jpg

Finally, the LSP was applied, Autoglym HD Wax on this occasion.

Then it was time to protect the alloys using Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Applied using a Meguiars Foam Applicator
photo104.jpg

Left to cure
photo105.jpg

Buffed off with a microfibre towel
photo107.jpg

Leaving this
photo108.jpg

And Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gloss added to the tyres (2 coats), applied using a Meguiars foam applicator
photo109.jpg

These are the 'afters', albeit with a basic camera and overcast light.
cimg0044.jpg

cimg0039.jpg

cimg0034.jpg

cimg0032.jpg

On my first go with machine polishing I would say it was difficult to achieve full paint correction.

dsc_0035.jpg

I could have been more agressive on the pads/polish which would have helped but that would have been risky for the first detail. Maybe next year.

Thanks for reading!

That looks very well doggy. Fair play for the patience and hard work.

Back