autobahn fmic.

Derek type ra

Petrolheads
Picked one up today fitted it grand just have a problem on the turbo side, the pipe coming from the turbo can only go over the airbox and because of this the bonnet won't close properly. Is it a case of jigging it around to fit properly? or are they not compatible with the airbox's?

This leads me to my second question if they are not compatible what cone airfilter is maf friendly? ideally would like to keep the airbox.

Oil filters won't either... They only give trouble when people re-oil them and use way to much oil which then fooks up the maf...

The apexi is very good, have one on my own car :thumbsup:

As Robbie said above, There is no problem with using a K&N or other oiled filter, they are designed to trap more dust/dirt in the oil and keep it in the filter, its only when people clean them and re-oil them with too much oil they then lose some oil and it damages the element in your MAF.

Personally I like the Apexi filter for looks and performance, but its a personal preference :thumbsup:

take out the air box and give the car more of a rumble again.....
Car sounds well all the same..........
Glad ya got it fitted man!!! Throw up a few pics when your finished!!!!

I was just thinkin of fitting an FMIC on my 03 sti.

Its a fairly cheap upgrade, and AFAIK improve hp without decreasing realiability due to the lower intake temps.
Have you noticed any change in power, or engine characteristics? Ie slower coming on boost or anything??

What do you do then with the scoop?
Is that where you'd fit an oil cooler normally?

FMIC requires a remap! so altogether it is not quite a cheap upgrade ;)

without a map it will be lagging as hell and the fuel/air ratio will be incorrect :thumbsup:

The bonnet scoop stays on with the TMIC removed :thumbsup:

[quote author=Codders link=topic=24745.msg294282#msg294282 date=1278444517]

without a map it will be lagging as hell and the fuel/air ratio will be incorrect :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Does the ecu not compensate for the FMIC, given that all thats happening is the intake temp is lower, which would happen on a cold day anyway vs a warm day.....
Can;t see why it would be much laggier either, bar the slightly longer piping?

I'm not saying your wrong, just doing devils advocate :icon_biggrin:

additional airflow
longer pipeing
definitely requires a remap to get the full benefits from this upgrade!!!
Saying that a boost controler would be a good start until remap is done!!!

[quote author=Codders link=topic=24745.msg294282#msg294282 date=1278444517]

[/quote]

I would have to say you would "want" to remap after a FMIC to get full advantage but I wouldn't say "need" to, as I know lads that are running front mounts on classics without remaps for years without issue and without lag at all. Yes the pipework is longer but when you have the system full of air, then as air enters the piping the current air in the piping exits there for the so called "lag" isn't that big of an issue.

I would have to say you would "want" to remap after a FMIC to get full advantage but I wouldn't say "need" to, as I know lads that are running front mounts on classics without remaps for years without issue and without lag at all. Yes the pipework is longer but when you have the system full of air, then as air enters the piping the current air in the piping exits there for the so called "lag" isn't that big of an issue.
[/quote]

Ye thats what i would have thought alright.
The ECU can compensate to an extent for the colder air, but maybe not get the very best based on the possibility of advancing timing more.
And the extra length of pipe would just mean that until the turbo actually builds boost you will have a tiny bit more lag, as it has to add more air into the new piping than before until it reaches the desired boost.

Back