Engine squeel

02 WRX

Sunday Drivers
Hi,

I have a 02 WRX and there is a constant squeel coming out of my engine which seems to only disapear when I am accelerating.

Anybody any ideas what it could be?

Id say its one of your belts needs changing cos its slipping have a listen under the bonnet with the engine on you should be able to figure out which one it but if your steering is heavier than usual its the power steerig belt :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scruff link=topic=24685.msg292524#msg292524 date=1277767032]
Or it could be water pump.
[/quote]

Normally if your pump is at the stage where it squeals then it will be leaking too. I'd say alternator/power steering belt is the most likely cause

Thanks for the replies,

The stering is fine, the sound is hard to pinpoint (even though it's so fuckin loud!) but it does sound like it could be the alternator belt so I will give that a change and see what happens?

Is it definitely a squeel and not a lot of tapping? Does the sound go away when you push in the clutch? If so then it's the clutch release bearing.

the release would have to be well gone to be that loud.. your best to just get it looked at if your worried or maybe someone from the club here can go have a look too.

It's definitely a squeel, it kinda goes away when you rev the engine or when the car is accelerating.

It is very hard to pinpoint where it's coming from so maybe I will just get someone to look at it?

[quote author=02 WRX link=topic=24685.msg292756#msg292756 date=1277899682]
It's definitely a squeel, it kinda goes away when you rev the engine or when the car is accelerating.

It is very hard to pinpoint where it's coming from so maybe I will just get someone to look at it?
[/quote]

Where are you based?

Back