Spare wheel

Paul555RA

Petrolheads
Just wondering i put 17's onto my car a few months ago but my spare is a skinny 16 would that be ok to use if i had to (touch wood i wont) without causing probs to the diff etc being a different size or am i better off going looking for a 17 just in case, one tyre was a bit soft a few days ago and it dawned on me bout the different sizes cheers guys :thumbsup:

It probly would, and it pulls like fook.
You wouldnt want to be in a rush anywhere with one one...dangerous i tell you.

Best to get a 17in the same as your own, but then that doestnt fit in the boot.
You could get a newage space saver.

thanks a lot its coming up with about a 20mill diameter difference so i really hope i dont have to put it on there, the spare wheel well isnt to small so i might fit another alloy in there (if i had one) how much do you reckon id be looking at for a newage space saver and are they handy got

No bother Paul,

20mm is feck all, check where it says REVs per mile, and see what the difference is. I'd reckon you'd be fine with the space saver on at low speeds as long as ya dont leave it on for days or weeks :thumbsup:

its coming up with a difference of 22 rpm the prob i have is i get paid monthly so if one does decide to go at the wrong time it could be a week before i can do anything bout it so might be better off investing in a newage one depending on cost

I am absolutely sure froggy will have space savers,
Give him a shout,
Alternately, What size tyres are you running, You could get a budget tyre the appropriate size on your 16" rim to match the size of teh 17"s
Personally, I wouldn't drive at all with odd sized tyres on!
It's the rolling circumference that you are looking for, if you put a tyre agaist one of your tyre, and gauge it front to back, (top to bottom wont be acurate because of the weight of the car) if it is very close, I'd be happy enough!
Dan

Standard wheel size on Legacy B4's is 215/45R17 so i presume the space saver is something similar, i'll check for you tomorrow. Keep an eye out for a Legacy been broken and get yourself the spare.

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=24681.msg292512#msg292512 date=1277764105]
Standard wheel size on Legacy B4's is 215/45R17 so i presume the space saver is something similar, i'll check for you tomorrow. Keep an eye out for a Legacy been broken and get yourself the spare.
[/quote]
Thats the exact size of what im running on mine now so that could come in very handy cheers :thumbsup:
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24681.msg292509#msg292509 date=1277763305]
I am absolutely sure froggy will have space savers,
Give him a shout,
Alternately, What size tyres are you running, You could get a budget tyre the appropriate size on your 16" rim to match the size of teh 17"s
Personally, I wouldn't drive at all with odd sized tyres on!
It's the rolling circumference that you are looking for, if you put a tyre agaist one of your tyre, and gauge it front to back, (top to bottom wont be acurate because of the weight of the car) if it is very close, I'd be happy enough!
Dan
[/quote]

There is 135/70/16 on the spare and the tyre already seems quite big id be worried bout having sidewall probs if i went bigger :ponder2:

215/45/17 wheel will fit in the Legacy wheel well no bother! I'll be taking the 18 inch wheel off mine that was damaged recently and replace it with new one, if the 18" will fit in boot with tyre ill be putting the 17" up for sale It would be a Brembo clear Rota space saver! :thumbsup:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=24681.msg292514#msg292514 date=1277764393]
215/45/17 wheel will fit in the Legacy wheel well no bother! I'll be taking the 18 inch wheel off mine that was damaged recently and replace it with new one, if the 18" will fit in boot with tyre ill be putting the 17" up for sale It would be a Brembo clear Rota space saver! :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Sound let me know :thumbsup: gotta love interchangable parts :subaru:

Back