Rattlesnake stuck in exhuast.

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi,

I went today to Couture Auto and noticed a rattle within the exhaust. Came back home and it does it when the car is at idle.
I got underneath, and sounds like its coming from this silver box (I guess its the cat. converter?).

I checked all the bolts holding the exhaust in place, and they were all tightened.
It sounds like something is stuck in there.

Does anyone know how it get rid of the rattle?

Video of the issue:

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm157/kicklipman/Subaru%20B4/?action=view&current=25062010009.mp4

Yup defo sound's like your cat is gone mate, replace it to fix :thumbsup:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=24613.msg291725#msg291725 date=1277464858]
Who did you buy that car from?
[/quote]

Nolan Motors.
http://www.nolanmotorco.ie/
Jeez, this sucks if it's broken.

I didn't even drive hard.

You think I should go back to the dealer?

Defo go back to the dealer if you only bought it mate, its not a serviceable part so will be covered by warranty :thumbsup:

Thanks,

The dealer only gave me warranty on the gearbox. Not on the engine.
But I'm going to give him a call.

Would it be okay to drive it like this, or can it cause other issues?

Gave the man a call, but he said its not under warranty. :icon_cry:

So, I guess I have two options...

1. See if it's repairable.
2. Get a decat.

If anybody can recommend a cheap, exhaust garage please let me know.
Thanks to Mac Mac as well :thumbsup:

Hey dude,
Maybe check out the traders for a second hand section altogether. I couldnt watch the vid coz my stupid mobile broadband is gone real slow, but im assuming its the cat in the centre section? I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago and got a 2nd hand centre section for 70 bucks. tis perfect now
:thumbsup:

[quote author=gtpeadar link=topic=24613.msg291738#msg291738 date=1277467274]
Hey dude,
Maybe check out the traders for a second hand section altogether. I couldnt watch the vid coz my stupid mobile broadband is gone real slow, but im assuming its the cat in the centre section? I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago and got a 2nd hand centre section for 70 bucks. tis perfect now
:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Will have a look there, thanks.
Yes, this is just a couple inches from where the exhaust joins in from 2 parts. Silver Box.

Where are you based mate? I've the standard centre section here, gone a bit rusty from not being on the car but nothing a rub down wouldn't sort out. If it will fit and your close to me you can make me an offer on mine. Came off an 02 Legacy. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=24613.msg291752#msg291752 date=1277470011]
Where are you based mate? I've the standard centre section here, gone a bit rusty from not being on the car but nothing a rub down wouldn't sort out. If it will fit and your close to me you can make me an offer on mine. Came off an 02 Legacy. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Thanks Mark :icon_grin:

I'm in Dublin 1. I wouldn't mind driving anywhere around the county if I can get one.
Could you send me a PM with your location? I can't reply to them, but I can read them at least :smile:

Im going to work now until 7pm. But I'm free the whole weekend if you have time to spare.

Thanks a million :multijump:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=24613.msg291755#msg291755 date=1277470666]
PM'd :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Thanks Mark :smile:

is it just me or does that look like a replacement cat thats in there? Doesnt look like a piece thats been there for a long time!!!! Unless someone just kept the underside of the car very very clean :ponder2:

Fair play Mark......

What do you guys think?

Should I replace the cat, or rather go decat?
My NCT only expires in two years :dance:

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=24613.msg291773#msg291773 date=1277476117]
If you have a 2 year NCT then I would go de-cat :dance:
[/quote]

A garage quoted me €70 to replace the cat with a straight pipe.
I wouldn't mind doing that for some extra ooohmpf :icon_grin:

Just remember you can get boost spikes from de-catting, fitting a boost controller to an Impreza or mapping will stop the spikes but not sure about a Leggy with the twin turbo system :ponder2:

Back