Essential procedures after buying a 1999 Impreza?

Big_Red

Middle Lane Hogs
As some of you know, I have just bought a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2000 Turbo 4wd i.e. original Irish car. I am going to get a full service, including engine,diff and gearbox oil change, new plugs and new brake pads. The timing belt was done 17,000 miles ago so that should be ok for now.

I will also need 4 new tyres as the thread is ok on them but they look like they are cracking on the sides of the wheel. I heard that apparently they "go off" such as they are only good for a certain amount of time even if the car was sitting up? :ponder2: They are cheap enough tyres so I will just get Toyo R1's for her all around. Is 'camskill.co.uk' definetly the best place to go for them by the way?

I was thinking of a remap but I think it is a standard ECU and I don't have the money to shell out 1k for that just yet!

I can't think of anything else so if anybody has any ideas what I might need then please do let me know :thumbsup:

Camskill is definately one of the cheapest places to get top brand tyres. Your standard ECU is remappable but it will cost you near enought to 1k to get a fresh map. I wouldn't bother unless you were doing other mods like exhaust, turbo, injectors, intercooler etc... A remap will make your car feel like a completely different animal, if you think its fast now, wait till you get it mapped. Give Dave Byrne a call in STi Tuning, he has a mapping session happening in 2 weeks time, and he can do any servicing or modifications that you want. His number is 0857715343.

Cheers
Alan

As Scruff said, I wouldn't remap unless doing a few other mods, (ie. turbo swap and breathing mods)
We do have a few mappers in the club,
Jolly green monster, Couture Auto and East coast customs are all Traders on here that also offer full mapping services. Look them up & give them a call too.

Dan

Red

whats the story man?
Welcome to the world of spending money on a very very worth while cause!!! YOUR SUBARU!!!
Speak to some of the traders on the site here!!!! You will find someone that will be able to provide all the parts you want / need and all the work that you want to get done!
Alot of very competent very helpful traders on here so dont be shy about askin them questions..... They dont laugh at ya for askin stupid questions (trust me i ask stupid questions all the time)!
If your interested in Remapping your car at some stage, Might I suggest saving a few quid more and looking into a simtec ecu setup! Simtec is a Subaru Specific ECU that is capable of switchable mappings, Anti Lag and Launch Control........ Not alot of extra money for the additional services the ECU is capable of providing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Neil

Cheers for the help! Yeah I was thinking about a Simtec ECU, is it much more cash? Sounds good though, I heard that the remap will increase fuel consumption when I am taking it easy? But as for the rest of the bits and pieces other then the remap, am I doing everything essential for just after buying the car?

[quote author=Big_Red link=topic=24599.msg291728#msg291728 date=1277464985]
Cheers for the help! Yeah I was thinking about a Simtec ECU, is it much more cash? Sounds good though, I heard that the remap will increase fuel consumption when I am taking it easy? But as for the rest of the bits and pieces other then the remap, am I doing everything essential for just after buying the car?
[/quote]

If you are worrying about fuel you may as well sell the car. Subaru's are Go Go Juice alcoholics in any state of tune. It's worth it though. Depending on the map, believe it or not you could get better mileage as the standard Subaru map overfuels from the factory.

As Scruff says, It depends on the mapping thats done!
It can be setup for maximum attack that will drink fuel like its a fashionble drink for teenagers
or it can be setup with economy in mind! bearing in mind you are never going to get the same mileage as a diesel :thumbsup:

It sounds like you know what your at anyway and all the essential stuff is being taken care of first off anyway

Cheers for the advice lads, I am glad to know that I am doing is the right thing! It's comfortable to know that I am doing things right :thumbsup:

Back