closed deck block?

scooby king

Sunday Drivers
hi lads im building a track car, its a gc8 and my block is semi closed! just wondering what the difference is between semi and closed deck? and what models did the closed deck block come in? cheers

semi closed deck and closed deck refers to the space around the cylinders where the coolant flows.

If you want big boost application then closed deck is the way to go.

Open Deck Block
attachment.php

Semi Closed Deck Block
attachment.php

Closed Deck Block
attachment.php

Great Post Andy :clap: :clap:
The type r is a deadly track car!!
Put a Baffled sump on what ever engine you intend to run!

as above
V1 and V2 sti, as far as I know,
As far as I know, the block in a the type r sti is ok for about 340-350bhp So bolt on a newage VF36/37 and thats block and turbo maxed!
Newage 01 sti semi closed deck EJ207 onwards are happy enough in excess of 400+bhp same goes for the EJ257 (2.5) so bolt on a TD05 20g or better still an MD321H
Forged pistons, rods and race bearings in either of the semi closed deck block are good for 500bhp Good head studs and gaskets as well!
After that it's Cylinder liners or closed deck blocks
The above is all roughly speeking for what I have read over the years! :thumbsup:
Dan

Standard ej207 can run 400+bhp safely? has anyone done that with blownin the arse out of it?

Andy F ran 440bhp in his RA drag car with a standard ej257 and the ej207 would be a stronger motor!
He was running 450 on a standard ej257 in his spec c , and said that the rods where the restriction,
And Stu from SI is running 426bhp on a standard ej207 with a MD321T (same as the turbo on andy's spec c)

So yes, :icon_grin: :thumbsup:
Dan

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=24503.msg291798#msg291798 date=1277481750]
Standard ej207 can run 400+bhp safely? has anyone done that with blownin the arse out of it?
[/quote]

Hello Dagnut,

I am running 450/440 on an Ej 207 with new rods, pistons & bearings :thumbsup:

She is still going fine :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael
P.S. I believe the rods are the limiting factor in the standard form, which max out at about 380 / 390 Bhp :ponder:

[quote author=Michael Spec C link=topic=24503.msg291840#msg291840 date=1277495027]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=24503.msg291798#msg291798 date=1277481750]
[/quote]

Hello Dagnut,

I am running 450/440 on an Ej 207 with new rods, pistons & bearings :thumbsup:

She is still going fine :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael
P.S. I believe the rods are the limiting factor in the standard form, which max out at about 380 / 390 Bhp :ponder:
[/quote]

So 380 is the max standard?

Seriously impressive figures BTW!

im using wossner piston and conrods, rcm uprated oil pump, baffeld sump, cosworth steel gaskets and wrc spec headstuds, with an ej20 out of a type r, so whats yous are telling me is the block itself is no good for what i want roughly 500 bhp?

There are plenty of people using semi-closed deck blocks running over 500BHP, even some people running it on open decks over in the UK... The internals you choose to use will more determine whether or not the engine will take the power..

As Robbie said the internals are more important, so is the mapping :thumbsup:

[quote author=scooby king link=topic=24503.msg292329#msg292329 date=1277724254]
im using wossner piston and conrods, rcm uprated oil pump, baffeld sump, cosworth steel gaskets and wrc spec headstuds, with an ej20 out of a type r, so whats yous are telling me is the block itself is no good for what i want roughly 500 bhp?
[/quote]

if your going to go to that spec dont bother with an open deck block, go semi or closed deck for peace of mind.

ken on here will back me up on this one, he blew a nice hole in his open deck block

He says in the first post that he has a semi-closed deck Johnny... Although does a type-r come with a semi-closed deck like he says he has in the post you quoted?

As far as I know,
Version 5 and 6 Sti have Ej207 meaning semi closed deck
Before that they were Ej20G and Ej20K, I am not sure what the G and K mean!!
Semi closed is grand for 500bhp on the 2.5's, So the thicker walled 2L will be grand at that!

Dan

Back