Lock Nuts

tommy 555

Member Number 935
hey lads ,

i picked up a little pug106 for the work run but it needs new brakes and few bits doin , the problem is the car was sitting up for nearly 2 and a half years and durin that time the lock nut key has went walkies , there is no name or numbers visable so cant find a replacement key ,

So how do i get these off without destroying the wheels or smashing my socket set to pieces :dontknow:

cheers in advance :thumbsup:

no easy way tommy

if your socket set is a good set and is the toothed type then it will be grand to hammer one on and then twist off.

any pics of the lock nut

there is a sockets you can buy that have grips in them, they are used to take off bolt that are rusted or just fooked -- they will work for you, my local garage has them and they work a treat!

Wicklow Tyres down by the Murrough have a lock nut breaker there a few months ago..thought I'd lost my lock nut key so was making enquiries myself :whistle:

no camera handy to take pics , i was thinking of just trying an ordinary socket on the dam things as suggested above but im just fond of my socket set :lol:

any good garage will have the tools i was talking about, that can just take them straight off in seconds.. :thumbsup:

socket worked and it aint fooked either , got the 2 off the front in about 5 minutes , some sh*t lock nuts

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=24409.msg289785#msg289785 date=1276858856]
socket worked and it aint fooked either , got the 2 off the front in about 5 minutes , some sh*t lock nuts
[/quote]

happy days dude

managed to change the brakes , oil , filters , and other 2 lock nuts in about hour and a half , all i need to do now to have it ready for the nct is new battery , top up the fluids and hope it passes , Love the pugs for simplicity and how cheap parts are , plus it handles like a go-kart

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=24409.msg289876#msg289876 date=1276892585]
Good stuff Tommy, best of luck with the NCT :thumbsup:
[/quote]

wanna get it booked in phil , the sooner i get the little pug on the road i can start getting few €€€€€€ together towards scooby mods , first up is essential maintenance , timing belt needs doin ?

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=24409.msg289878#msg289878 date=1276893009]
[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=24409.msg289876#msg289876 date=1276892585]
Good stuff Tommy, best of luck with the NCT :thumbsup:
[/quote]

wanna get it booked in phil , the sooner i get the little pug on the road i can start getting few €€€€€€ together towards scooby mods , first up is essential maintenance , timing belt needs doin ?
[/quote]

I got my timing belt done few weeks back in TP Waters main subaru dealer in Kildare supplied and fitted for €550 and they dropped a rad i supplied in for me as well very reasonable i thought

ive had some crazy quotes from places , including one place (local garage only a mile from home) saying it would take a whole day and parts would be €600 plus 350 labour

down to carroll and roche who said between €3-400 depending on condition of the idlers , they said would only take 2.5 hours ,

I was getting quotes in and around the same but i had it in there for servicing bout a month or so before and said it to them then they had the car the full day but i dont think they started on it till lunch time or so but they ran late cos they tested the rad etc for me

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=24409.msg289941#msg289941 date=1276935547]
ive had some crazy quotes from places , including one place (local garage only a mile from home) saying it would take a whole day and parts would be €600 plus 350 labour

down to carroll and roche who said between €3-400 depending on condition of the idlers , they said would only take 2.5 hours ,
[/quote]

I was in getting a few bits and pieces in C&R on Wednesday and decided to price up all parts for a timing belt change. They wanted €580 for parts excluding a water pump, they said that wasn't a necessity. Thats a few different prices i've heard from C&R.

Back