overheating prob '98 sti (crack in the block)

gretts

Petrolheads
my mate bought a 98 sti last week with suspected headgasket gone,

so he took the engine out skimmed heads got cometic triple layer head gasket off dave, fitted the gaskets and torqued it up in correct sequence but it back together and still overheating, so changed the rad and still overheating,changed the thermostat still overheating, stripped it all down again to check water pump and the pump seams fine so could there be another reason for overheating ??

is it possible the pump could be knackered and show no visible signs ?

Re: overheating prob '98 sti

Pumps normally fail in 2 ways, the bearing goes in them and the leak all over the place, You can easily tell if the bearing is gone because the pulley will rock around.
Or the less likely is that its seized solid, but you said it seems fine.

Check for blockages, especially in the header tank to expansion tank hose, and the metal pipe along the top of the rad. Came across this before :thumbsup:

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=24400.msg289712#msg289712 date=1276809938]
is it leaking coolant anywere?
[/quote]

no leaks

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=24400.msg289726#msg289726 date=1276827730]
Pumps normally fail in 2 ways, the bearing goes in them and the leak all over the place, You can easily tell if the bearing is gone because the pulley will rock around.
Or the less likely is that its seized solid, but you said it seems fine.

Check for blockages, especially in the header tank to expansion tank hose, and the metal pipe along the top of the rad. Came across this before :thumbsup:
[/quote]

will do

Depending on the way the system was bled up, you can get an airlock in it, and this can cause the temp gauge to rise.

I know suabru's are prone to air locks if bled up wrong :thumbsup:

unlikely but the impellor could have come off the back of the water pump like in the bmws!!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

[quote author=scooby1wrx link=topic=24400.msg289866#msg289866 date=1276891012]
A sh*t Gretts, sorry to hear that :wall:
[/quote]

ah don't feel to bad it's not my block it's my mate's, still suks though..

Back