turbo boost?

twinsspecial

Sunday Drivers
hi lads.i recently bought a v6 sti.its mapped for .8,1.0 and 1.2 bar boost.im runnin it at .8 just to be safe at the mo.im wonderin would it be safe enough to run it at 1 bar all the time?i have the revs limited to 6250rpm for safety too {can be adjusted}.and should i be using octane booster too even tho its mapped?thanks in advance! :subaru:

Hi,

If the car is mapped for 1.2 bar boost then your fine to run that. Just make sure your using the petrol its mapped for, if its mapped just for Maxol E5, you can only run that. Also no need for booster unless its mapped for it.

I'd ask the person you bought it off, and find out what its mapped for. If your still unsure, it might be best to get a tweat map yourself, at least you can be confident your using the right petrol and running the right boost etc.

Steve.

thanks steve.i dont actually know what it was mapped for! IF it was mapped for e5 on 1.2 bar does that mean its not safe on any other petrol?e5 isnt sold anywhere near me i dont think.i usually fill up on normal maxol petrol or texaco

Yup, if its mapped for just Maxol E5 then should only run that. Its about 99ron. You could use 95ron petrol and booster and prob get you around the 99 ron mark. But if your unsure I'd say its probably best to get a tweak map, at least you can be sure your running the car on the right petrol and boost. And save yourself engine failure :thumbsup:

Have a look at your traders section at the bottom of the forum, not sure if any of them in Cork, I think most are in Dublin or surrounding areas. :thumbsup:

Steve.

ive just looked up the maxol website.i read that all maxol unleaded is now e5.is this right?are the normal pumps e5 so or is there only certain maxols sell e5?

Most Maxol's E5 but some are still 95, I'd check with the garage :thumbsup:

all this time i thought e5 was some special fuel only sold in a handful of garages!fu$k sake!the car must be mapped for e5 so is it?i mean it wouldnt be mapped for anything else realisticly if e5 is the best fuel u can get.if i fill up so with e5 {99 ron} do u reckon it will be safe runnin it at 1.0 and 1.2 bar yeah?!

Not nessesarly, allot of lads map for normal 95 ron too. I'd check with the previous owner. To be honest, if I was you, I'd probably be getting a tweak map, just for piece of mind. Unless you trust what the last owner says :thumbsup:

Steve.

if it was mapped for normal 95 ron at 1.2 bar surely itll be safe running 1.2 on 99 ron if its safe for 95 no?or does it have to be mapped specificly?

[quote author=twinsspecial link=topic=24369.msg289452#msg289452 date=1276688176]
dont know about the ecu.presume its standard no?i can choose between 3 boosts through the apexi fc controller
[/quote]

Your ECU is an Apexi Power FC so :thumbsup:

oh right!ha ha.sorry im new to all this with the cars!what do u reckon to me runnin it at 1.0 or 1.2 on e5 so?even if its mapped at 95 ron at 1.2 bar surely itll still be even safer runnin at 1.0 or 1.2 with e5?what do u think?

You need to find out what it was mapped for... It may have been mapped for E5 + booster so at high boost you may be getting knock even on E5... My car is mapped for E5 + half bottle of NF and was told whatever i do, not to run it on anything less... I've heard some people saying the power fc has knock level detection no? If it does, then you can try it on E5 and see if you're getting any knock... If you are not, then you know you're good to go :thumbsup:

Yeah the hand commander can read knock alright, scoobymaniac has it in his Impreza :thumbsup:

it does have knock detection alright.i just started the car there.idle its knock 1.if i rev to 4725rpm it goes up to knock 8.dunno what it goes up to when driving ill check it out later.in relation to the gauge for the knock it seems as though 8 is very little.it only moves up a tiny bit.any idea what it should be reading if its good?or even more important what itll read if its bad?

Back