Motor tax with "new" used car bought from dealer.

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi all,

I bought a car from a dealer on Monday.
The car has no tax, but full NCT, and I am insured fully with no bullshit.

I don't have the certificate of registration. The dealer said he organise it as soon as possible.

After the sale, I only have a receipt from the dealer. Noting else.

Is there any way to tax the car for the time being, as I really need to the car to take me from point A to B?

I got pulled by the Gardai today, and I have 10 days to show all the documents, or they'll take me to court.
Even said they could take my car from me.

Any help will be appreciated.

I only bought my car resently and you don't need the log book to tax it. Just go to the tax office with you NCT cert your insurance and take note of the chassie number of your car off the plate under the bonnet. Fill in the tax renewal form with all the relivent detail. Vechical reg make colour insurance details NCT details and just hand that in nothing else and you'll get your disc.

Best of luck with the new car. :subaru:

Thanks so much.

I only have the NCT disc in the window.
Would this be sufficient? Or would I need to contact the dealer for the full paper?

Go to the guarda station and get a signed form stating its been off the road first of all... Then fill the rest of the form in, the numbers you put in for insurance or NCT don't matter, you don't even need an nct number... Walk up to the window and ay your money... If eric says it doesnt have to be in your name then fair enough, they obviously don't check that either

Was there any other documents I should have received when I purchased the car?
I just got a receipt from the garage stating what car I bought with my name and all.

I never got the second half of the registration certificate.
Thanks for all the help. This is really doing my head in.

Ring the tax office! explain it, tell them that you only have 10 days!
They helped me out when i was in that position

No need for forms. all you need is the number of the NCT the Number of your insurance insurers name expiry date of both and your reg and chassie number. Only said bring the forms so you had the numbers there to write them in. They don't ask to see them. I was taxing the bike to the other day and I'd gone through a broker for the insurance and didn't know the name of the actual insurer so the girl just wrote one in.

Just go in fill in the form and you'll be sorted.

And you don't need a letter from the guards to say it was off the road as you have the reseipt to say you only bought it that will do but i just told them I only bought it.

Thanks to all of you for the help!
I can't thank you enough.

I'll get it sorted as soon as possible.
Can't wait to drive the B4 again. I think I'm addicted :icon_pray:

Took agout 9 weeks for my log book/cert of ownership to arrive with me.

Got summons but managed to sort before going to court

:smokin:

I had problems when i bought my celica i was never given a log book for it and i was told by the laois tax office that i couldnt tax it till it was in my name and the garage wouldnt give me the log book same as i couldnt nct it till i got it i owned the car for a year and it went into my name a week before i traded it in against the scooby bought it from Lismard in portlaoise only found out after i got the car they are the worst in the county they've gone out of business now and i was delighted saved me 515 in tax for the year but had solicitors involved car died 3 weeks after i got it needed a new engine as i was burning oil and ran out i paid for a warranty and they wanted me to pay for the new engine

you don't need nct number. All u need is reg, chassis number, insurance policy number. Filll in motor tax renewal form with previous owner dates and fill in the period you require to tax your car. Bring it to the desk and pay your money. Job done. I had to do this when I got my car 2 weeks ago.

Back