B4 running no BOV

Jaak

Petrolheads
Hi,

Does anyone have any videos of an B4 RSK running without a BOV?
I looked everywhere and could not find any.

Instead of removing the stock BOV, but to only remove the vacuum line and seal it cause the turbo to flutter as well? And be safe to do so?

Any comments are appreciated. :smile:

If your looking to have the flutter noise you can always remove the resonator box inside the drivers wing. that will give you some flutter but never heard of anyone disconnecting the vacuum line and sealing it, suppose when you get your B4 you could try it and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I was just wondering if it would be possible. I would not run it like that for long as I heard it can do some damage to the turbines.
You always here crazy fluttering from single setups, but twins are rare to hear that.

Cheers

i have my classic running without a dumpvalve the past while now.
im running a 20g td05 turbo which are more capable of running this set up.
i have done a lot of research into this and know of guys and car tuners doing the same thing on the vf series turbo which are a weaker turbo and the td range turbo also with no issues whatsoever.
people that state it will cause damage have never even tried this set up at all themselves , i suppose its the fact if you spend over a grand on a new turbo you will be afraid to try it then.
the chatter from it is just fantastic along with the induction noise and from 1st gear change to 2nd gear is awsome .
i will continue to run this set up for as long as i own an impreza.

cheers :thumbsup:

james

Cheers for the info there James.
I never really liked the BOV sound.
I always preffed the chatter.

[quote author=jackswagon link=topic=24261.msg288513#msg288513 date=1276348172]
i have my classic running without a dumpvalve the past while now.
im running a 20g td05 turbo which are more capable of running this set up.
i have done a lot of research into this and know of guys and car tuners doing the same thing on the vf series turbo which are a weaker turbo and the td range turbo also with no issues whatsoever.
people that state it will cause damage have never even tried this set up at all themselves , i suppose its the fact if you spend over a grand on a new turbo you will be afraid to try it then.
the chatter from it is just fantastic along with the induction noise and from 1st gear change to 2nd gear is awsome .
i will continue to run this set up for as long as i own an impreza.

cheers :thumbsup:

ANY CHANCE U COULD THROW UP A SOUND CLIP AS I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR HOW IT SOUNDS

james

[/quote]

[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=24261.msg288498#msg288498 date=1276342962]
If your looking to have the flutter noise you can always remove the resonator box inside the drivers wing. that will give you some flutter but never heard of anyone disconnecting the vacuum line and sealing it, suppose when you get your B4 you could try it and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I tried removing the vacuum line from the stock bov.
I did not get any flutter, only my boost went max to 0.5 bar.
So this doesn't work.

Did you seal the end of the blue vacuum line? If you didnt then you'd have been leaking boost causing your problem... You wouldnt hear the flutter because you don't have enough boost to cause the turbo to stall...

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=24261.msg289456#msg289456 date=1276688681]
Did you seal the end of the blue vacuum line? If you didnt then you'd have been leaking boost causing your problem... You wouldnt hear the flutter because you don't have enough boost to cause the turbo to stall...
[/quote]

I sealed the blue vacuum line securely. But the BOV inlet where the vacuum line was, only wrapped with take to close it.
I thought .8bar would be enough for flutter :ponder2:

[quote author=jackswagon link=topic=24261.msg289459#msg289459 date=1276688983]
@ john b4

ill try my best but im hopeless at uploading things .
no promises ok :lol:
[/quote]
haha good man
just upload it to tinypic and copy the image code to your post.... :thumbsup:

Might sound good but Standard turbos probably wont stick running no d/v too long..
Plus i think there may be issues with the standard map on car.. Good aftermarket turbos will handle it but i always see guys get it mapped that way

I read a lot of articles about this damage it causes. Looks like it reduces the turbo's life by 20%.
Even so, I dont think the primary turbo on the legacys are too dear.

I did come across any hard evidence that this is destroying turbos.
The only thing I notice, is that it takes a bit longer to spool after a full boost dump.
But the sound just beats bov's by far :multijump:

so how does one go about deleting the BOV? take the tubes off the BOV and block them? what about the outlets on BOV? or does the bov need to be totally removed and just block off hole in the intercooler some how?

Andy if you pull vacum hose off, and block end of vacum hose. The dump valve can work with a vacum/pressure source and will stay shut.. no need to remove

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=24261.msg330801#msg330801 date=1294183213]
so how does one go about deleting the BOV? take the tubes off the BOV and block them? what about the outlets on BOV? or does the bov need to be totally removed and just block off hole in the intercooler some how?
[/quote]

I tried before to only remove the vacuum line on the bov, but it wouldnt flutter. I dont think the bov spring is strong enough to hold the pressure (*stock bov).
What I ended up doing was get a bung plug from fleabay to close the pipe going to secondary turbo.
I removed the bov vacuum line and closed it off.
Then I got a rubber end of a walking stick (1 euro from hardware store) and fit it over the outlet of the bov and sealed it with a hose crimper.

Works like a charm:)

might only work that way on atmospheric dv, think thats what Andy has. I wouldnt do it personally do.

Back