Age Old Maxol E5 question

dossie01

Petrolheads
Well lads, just want to get a final opinion on this one. I have a standard new shape 2003 JDM Legacy B4, only mod is a cat back exhaust that came with the car
Its not mapped, and not planning to anytime soon. Whats the story with Maxol E5, will the car run grand on it without any Lucas booster?

I use my car for work and I have a fuel card, for Topaz, Which is 95 octane. I have been using a full bottle of Lucas with each fill up which would maybe bring it up to between 98 - 99 octane at a push. I've managed to get my gaffer to get me a company credit card instead, so can fill up with E5 if I want now. Do I still need the booster? Will 99 octane be enough? I dont mind throwin in a half bottle of Lucas per tank.

I eventually will get her mapped, but dont have the funds at the minute to do it straight away.

Cheers
Dave

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=24225.msg287780#msg287780 date=1276102249]
Well lads, just want to get a final opinion on this one. I have a standard new shape 2003 JDM Legacy B4, only mod is a cat back exhaust that came with the car
Its not mapped, and not planning to anytime soon. Whats the story with Maxol E5, will the car run grand on it without any Lucas booster?

I use my car for work and I have a fuel card, for Topaz, Which is 95 octane. I have been using a full bottle of Lucas with each fill up which would maybe bring it up to between 98 - 99 octane at a push. I've managed to get my gaffer to get me a company credit card instead, so can fill up with E5 if I want now. Do I still need the booster? Will 99 octane be enough? I dont mind throwin in a half bottle of Lucas per tank.

I eventually will get her mapped, but dont have the funds at the minute to do it straight away.

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

maybe monitor the knock when using e5 only vs 95 + booster and see the differences, from what i understood from the bit of data logging i did on mine, too much consistent negative knock correction is a BAD thing

Get on e5..I was mapped originally for half bottle of lucas and 95..when I got remapped on E5 made more timing and more boost so its definitely better

You can run on E5 alone by itself... If you put booster in the ignition will adjust and give you that bit more power again but E5 on its own will be grand :thumbsup:

Cheers lads, ill go 4 e5 with half a bottle, currently usin bout 4 to 5 bottles of lucas a month with the miles i do, will save a few bob and save up 4 d mapping

while we on the topic - mine in 05 WRX Prodrive UK (97 Fuel) - I do use E5 as much as i can, but ere and there i do have to put a tank of 95 in.. As regards to the knock is this something i need to worry about or do the new ECU's adopt well to the which fuel is in the car?

[quote author=Aaron link=topic=24225.msg287889#msg287889 date=1276121363]
while we on the topic - mine in 05 WRX Prodrive UK (97 Fuel) - I do use E5 as much as i can, but ere and there i do have to put a tank of 95 in.. As regards to the knock is this something i need to worry about or do the new ECU's adopt well to the which fuel is in the car?
[/quote]

UK spec's should have no issue at all running 95 RON :thumbsup:

[quote author=John L. link=topic=24225.msg287930#msg287930 date=1276148855]
RE MAP ASAP My friend or you will be sorry rgs John L.
[/quote]

That's a scary post...

Plenty of lads here run Jap cars on just E5 and have no problems.

Yes indeed and im not trying to scare you guys but I lost an engine on what was most lightly a problem with petrol I was un aware how important it was to map so I would always be carefull with this issue cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=John L. link=topic=24225.msg287943#msg287943 date=1276158414]
Yes indeed and im not trying to scare you guys but I lost an engine on what was most lightly a problem with petrol I was un aware how important it was to map so I would always be carefull with this issue cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Were you running just E5 though and your engine failed?

No just normal petrol and an octane booster and thats why this club is so great you get the right advice almost all the time I learnt by my own mistake and would like to help prevent anybody having to go through that messing of an engine re build cheers :thumbsup:

[quote author=John L. link=topic=24225.msg287943#msg287943 date=1276158414]
[/quote]

Where did you lose it John? Did you stop and look around by the side of the road :icon_biggrin:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24225.msg287941#msg287941 date=1276157936]
[/quote]

That's a scary post...

[/quote]

Indeed steve, E5 is rated at 98/99 RON which is close enough to the 100 RON needed for the V4 onwards impreza. If anyone is worried about they can bu a knocklink and monitor knock themselves. But as I said above, there is no need to re-map a UK spec :thumbsup:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24225.msg287941#msg287941 date=1276157936]
[/quote]

That's a scary post...

[/quote]

and plus the fact, theres plenty of lads on here that have had there car mapped and it still when'nt bang

hi john, its not that the engines are not sturdy, theres a few different reasons

any high preformance engine will only have a short life towards a eco friendly engine but even at that it depends on how there driven.
if a eco car or preformance car is reved to the red line half of its life there going to be alot more stress on there life span.

we have alot of talk about "knock and detonation" on here and alot of lads are scared of it and by reading some of the stuff on here lads think that if you use 95oc fuel and start there car its going to blow up, knock and detonation only happens under heavy load on the engine, which is full boost up the rev range.

you can rule out knock by mapping it safely but there always going to be something else that could wreck your engine i.e, oil starvation, fuel starvation etc.

alot of uk spec classics that have been factory mapped for 98 fuel and only preduced 220bhp and are very reliable but then you have a jap spec sti that run the same engine are factory mapped for 101oc fuel and preduce 280bhp, 60 more than the uk spec car, then some lads get them over here run them on 95 fuel and they go bang, this is why they get a bad name.

on a my00 sti am I better off using maxol e5 only, good 95octane with octane booster or e5 and octane booster? car isn't mapped

Back