Mapping

gavair1

Sunday Drivers
Hi all,

2003 JMD STI, from what I have been told this car was not mapped for Irish fuel and I have been using maxol fuel as much as possible.

I would like to get it mapped for Irish fuel, will I need to get an aftermarket ECU or is the units fitted to the 2003 jape STI adjustable?

Thanks lads!

if your not doing any mods to it for preformace theres no need to map it!

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=24195.msg287560#msg287560 date=1276035415]
if your not doing any mods to it for preformace theres no need to map it!
[/quote]

it's a JDM Johnny, that should be mapped for Irish fuel as far as I'm aware.

No need to map standard jdm sti, will be fine on e5.Unless its not easy to get around your area i would get it mapped.heard good things about the traders on here for mapping. :thumbsup:

if it been run on e5 it will be grand scruff, the newage cars ecu's adjust to are fuel better than the classic and on a standard motor there would be no need.

i would get a knock link fitted to see on e5/95 if theres any knock been detected first before mapping.

if going for mods do a good few together to see a difference before mapping.

The way i understood it was that he doesn't use E5 all the time so wants to map for 95... Agree it would be good to do a few mods first to make the mapping more worthwhile but if you could run it on E5 all the time, then you wouldn't need to map it at all..

would i be right in saying that mapping isint jus to adjust to our lesser octane fuel :wall: , but also to increase potential of current setup :dance:

Thanks lads, I guess the next question is where can I get a knock link? Anyone selling or renting one out?

i would like to get one for my 05' cos i do switch between 95 and E5 if i cant get E5... they go for much?

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=24195.msg287625#msg287625 date=1276071948]
would i be right in saying that mapping isint jus to adjust to our lesser octane fuel :wall: , but also to increase potential of current setup :dance:
[/quote]

You can have a car remapped just for fuelling issues without wanting more power, of course if more power is what your after then you can have it mapped up to make the most of your engine. However, mapping a car doesn't make it bullet proof, as we all know, mapped cars blow up too. This is because of increased stress and wear while approaching the limits of your engine components.

So if you feel your car is quick enough and want more safety with fuel then mapping for a different RON is a good idea, but as Johnny said, a knocklink is first to be sure a map is needed and on a standard JDM sti on E5 there is no need to map her for fuelling reasons :thumbsup:

Hello Gavair1,

I would get your car mapped if I was going to get stage 1 mods :subaru:

I.E. De-Cat,, fueling mods etc :thumbsup:

Your car has knock detection, so if you run her on E5 without any mods it should be fine :thumbsup:

The knock detection should adjust your car to suit E5 :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Brought mine to Nick over at Couture Auto and put it on the rollers with a full tank of 95 RON. It ran fine with a tiny bit of det.

Furthermore I changed the pump/air filter/plugs and did a proper newage reset with a Tactrix OBDII connector and ROM Raider and then force learned her and she's running better than ever.

Cheers, P.

Back